Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What you rinning on your classic?

I've got some unheard of brand of weirdness on mine at the mo, thinking of changing but unsure what suits the car.

Cheers

Sean

·
Registered
630 Posts
Fengshewaa Raindance

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Very subjective as everyone has their favourites including Fengshewaa Raindance's, Someone will undoubtedly want to sell you some original Pirelli's / Michelin's etc at £170 a pop on the basis it makes your Alfa feel original but me - I love my 185/70/14 Uniroyal Rainsport's

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Michelin Sport on one, Vredestein sprint on the other. Both good as far as I know. Old tyres can be really quite slippy in the wet when they go hard, I realised mine needed replacing when the car would repeatedly break traction in 3rd gear just under normal acceleration.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
5,970 Posts
I have Firestones on the S2. They were new when I acquired the car but are quite old. I have no issue with UV degradation as the car was stored in doors. They grip quite well with good feed back. I would change them though before a long European drive (planned). I dont think you have to look far for a quality tyre at a sensible price.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
I have Kumho ecsta kh31 they have grooves in the tread block too,good for damp and rain, one day I want to try some exaggerated semi race type legal tyres with little grooves as possible, but i think I will probably regret them in the wet.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
5,970 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Is the correct tyre size 185 as I have 195 on mine, these look a good all round choice

Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons G2 185/70 R14 88T - mytyres.co.uk
For originality they should have a 80 profile but those are either really expensive or cheap and nasty but I see mytyres offer a few half decent makes in that profile now. The 185/70's have the closest rolling radius to 165/80's - you don't want too much rubber (unless your going racing) on the ground as it will spoil the feel of the sublime steering and put a lot more strain on the box
Buy cheap 165/80 R14 Search for tyres online @ mytyres.co.uk

·
Banned
34 Posts
Hi

Apologies for the commercial posting.

I think the original tyres should be either 165X14 Pirelli Cinturato or 165HR14 Michelin XAS

This year Pirelli will be making a new 185/70VR14 Cinturato CN36. 185/70VR14 isn't the right size. and i still hold that these cars handle better on a period correct 165HR14 which is why Alfa fitted them. However if you really want a bigger tyre on your car then this new CN36 will be the best one, as it is a genuine period 70 profile tyre developed to compliment cars like this.

Dougal

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Sean,

Have you decided what you want out of them? Originality or performance? You are an enthusiastic driver and is the car standard?

I can't say I ever liked CN36's on other cars back in period.

Alfaholics push the Yokohama Neova AD08 part road/part track tyre albeit this is for 15" wheels. Adrian's is on 14" Bridgestone Potenzas.

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
546 Posts
I'm currently running Falken ZIEX ZE-912 195/60R14 on my Alfetta saloon.

Grippy, very progressive at the limit (i.e. not too 'snappy'), and not expensive either. I think they look good too...

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
When less is more those wheels have it, love them.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I think these 7" wheels are too wide for the original 165 tyres?
Way too wide - I think 185's will be too narrow as well unless your looking for that cool poke and tuck look ..............like on really cool slammed Golfs............M8

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Vredestein Quatrac 185/70-14, on standard Steelies.

Vred seem to be one of the few semi premium brands that support 70 profile Tyres these days. The Quatracs are hybrid all season Tyre and seem to work very in the Wet. If you intend using your Car through the Winter I feel it's worth sacrificing a small amount of dry grip for vastly improved wet and snow grip.

As a bit of background many of the Classic Road Rally guys tend to use Snow Tyres all year round. I used Vredestein SnowTracs, they gripped astonishingly well even on dry summer roads as they were so soft. Mind you if they got very hot you could tear them to shreds on one 100 mile event. Side walls were a bit weak too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts