Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

it's that time when I need to change my tyres (235/40/19 i think) soon (for the first time since i bought the car).

In was wondering what you guys use/recommend and how much/where to get them from?

I currently have contisport contact3?

As far as I know the 'S' came with pirelli p zero nero?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
I've just had 4 19" Pzero's fitted. They are the correct size and load rating for the 19" wheels. They are fitted as standard to the Brera S. I found Kwik fit the cheapest at £257 ea

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
You don't have masses of choice at 19". See my sig and do a search on tyres there's a few threads on them and cheaper alternatives.

I may well replace my Acceleras again as I got 22k out of the fronts compared with 14k and 16k for Pirelli and Conti but I acknowledge they are probably stickier, better all round tyres. Accleras aren't as bad as people who haven't used them suggest and they are about half the price if european brands. Pay your money, take your choice.

Have it laser aligned on a Hunter o similar - well worth the cost over the life of your tyres as I found out after my second set of fronts.

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
+1 for the acceleras. They were on my car before I changed for the Pzeros , very good for a budget tyre and available in correct size and load rating.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
PM Martin44 for advice on fitting an S with Acceleras. Bad news!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
And i will eat my hat if it ever causes a problem in the real world :rolleyes:
With congested roads, 70 mph max speed allowed on UK roads im sure the tyres wont be stressed to their limit.
It will cause you an issue with your insurance company though. I previously had a 5 series and wanted to change the run flat tyres for normal ones. Spoke to the insurance company and they said no problem AS LONG AS the speed and load ratings were still as per manufacturer's specification.
If you were to have a blow out and crash (or any other incident the insurers could put at the blame of the tyres) then they wouldn't pay out. Given your car's only contact with the ground is those tyres then you're giving them plenty of opportunity to get out of a claim.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
S standard tyres were Pirelli PZero Nero.

The only other premium tyre with the correct load rating is the Continental Sport Contact 3 (but check as they also do a 94Y...)

I have used Pirelli's since new on the 159 Ti (same size) and when I was offered Accelera's for £68.00 each, I thought they were worth a punt, and now they are on, I have had them in all sorts of conditions in the last month ....and they are fine, notghing to worry about, they are on the front and break away slightly earlier and differently from the Pirelli's but more progressively in push on understeer situations.

Damp/wet traction and braking seem much the same, though havent tried a full 'achors away' stop.

As the P Zero is useless in winter, this is when I tried them.

Theyre worth a pop, though was warned by the tyre fitter to keep an eye on them for splits and bulges as they can be indifferent in quality, though the PHI ones in this size seem better than the even cheaper range.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies guys :)

I do drive fast (nearly all the time) so would Acceleras be ok for spirited driving?

Or am i better off sticking to the Pzero's?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
My GTV came with new cheap front tyres and the car ran fine. I do so little mileage in this car that I didn't worry about it too much. I changed them for Michelin Pilot Sports in the summer and the difference was incredible. Much better road holding much better in the wet and the car was transformed.

I can understand why people buy cheap tyres but as they are your only contact with the road they are one of the things that you should not skimp on imo. I'd rather forego performance improvements and ice to have the best tyres for the car personally. My 159 came on nearly new Michelin Pilot Sports and although I have no comparison that I can make on this car, I have total confidence in them. I gather that they are somewhat expensive though!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys :)

I do drive fast (nearly all the time) so would Acceleras be ok for spirited driving?

Or am i better off sticking to the Pzero's?
Bear in mind that a lot of the people recommending the Acceleras, drive 159s. The Brera S is a different car and I would imagine you drive it differently too!

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
Just as a comparison I took my son to work at 6.00 this morning, pouring down, no traffic, greasy roundabout. I would normally go round doing a nice easy controllable 4 wheel drift with the acceleras. First time with the pirellis pzero on I chickened out at 55 with no hint of drift.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts