Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I know they wear a little more on the insides at the rear due to the default suspension setup, but they should not wear excessively. If yours do then your suspension needs checking.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd say its fairly normal. From what ive been told, GTV's eat front tyres. My Bridgestones need changing on the front as they are now worn on the inside edges and they were only put on the car in Dec 07 done about 6,000 miles. Cant remember exactly why they do it, something to do with the Camber of the wheel.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Cant remember exactly why they do it, something to do with the Camber of the wheel.
More likely due to the std 2mm toe-out setting on the front.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
If you set the front toe to 0mm, the tyres should wear much more evenly.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I know they wear a little more on the insides at the rear due to the default suspension setup, but they should not wear excessively. If yours do then your suspension needs checking
The rear toe on the GTV/Spider is adjustable. It does not have a 'default suspension setup.' When you get the alignment checked make sure you take your GTV to someone who will perform a correct 4wheel alignment. This means checking rear toe first, and adjusting if necessary, then checking front toe last.

If they say the rears are non-adjustable, then walk away. The toe adjusting rods at the rear are plain for all to see.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Pretty normal due to the toe setting. You can adjust the toe to something more neutral but that might impair the handling (the toe out setting is so that under cornering the wheels become more upright offering the most rubber to tarmac in the corner).

I also read in Auto Italia that the Dunlop Sports Maxx SP were a good choice as they stand up to the wear better...

That said, you could have some suspension set up issues so best to get it checked.

Rears shouldn't see anywhere near as much wear as the fronts.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I agree, rears should be ok if toe is adjusted correctly. I put up with 2degrees at front with a little inside tread wear - the price you pay for great handling.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Pretty normal due to the toe setting. You can adjust the toe to something more neutral but that might impair the handling (the toe out setting is so that under cornering the wheels become more upright offering the most rubber to tarmac in the corner).
Changing the toe doesn't directly alter how upright the tyre is (that is camber, which isn't adjustable).
Setting it to 0mm toe does however reduce tyre scrub.
With 2mm toeout, when driving in a straight line both tyres are actually being pushed slightly sideways and it is that issue that scrubs the inner edges off.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Surely its not just toe in / out and camber - you need to think about the caster as well. So the toe out could help the rubber contacting the road under compressed suspension. Not sure I would mess about too much with the std settings, as you may get some awful bump steer...

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Surely its not just toe in / out and camber - you need to think about the caster as well. So the toe out could help the rubber contacting the road under compressed suspension. Not sure I would mess about too much with the std settings, as you may get some awful bump steer...
You can't alter caster either.

The only adjustment available is toe-in/out.

Perfectly acceptable to set the front to zero toe, or just very very slightly toe-out.

Changing the toe will not alter any likelihood of bumpsteer.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
The tyre wear is normal but unfortunately so too is wear in the wishbone bushes - mine only lasted 25-30k. Worn bushes & poor tracking can really accelerate tyre wear. I only got 8k out of one pair of F1s and 12k from another!

·
Administrator
23,076 Posts
Definitely worth checking the bushes (wishbones as posted above) and the rear arms.

With decent bushes and the front set to 0 or 1 degree toe out you will get even tyre wear. On my 2.0 a set of fronts will wear out in 6-8k miles, wear out evenly but wear out nonetheless - the price we pay I am afraid.

I get about 10-12k from the rears.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts