Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've got the dreaded 50p worn tyre syndrome on the rear and the accompanying droning and vibration at slow speeds. I'm really trying to find what causes this - looking at some threads on here i can't find a definitive answer (if in fact there is one!). So, i have Good Year Eagle F1's on the back - the older style with the mad looking pattern and i know these seem to be prone to this. The rear is all powerflexed so would assume no wear in the bushes. Both sides are equally affected - being lumpy on the inside edge of the tyre. I'm tempted to just replace the tyres but not if there is a problem somewhere else. Some folks have suggested bearings (recently got through MoT and they seem ok) or alignment.

Any ideas? If it is as simple as replacing tyres - any recommendations? I've normally gone for Eagle F1's but if these are prone to this problem...

Many thanks!

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
My eagle f1s are fine, been on the car for months now, how much pressure do you put in the tyres?
Could be "shock" related.?

·
Registered
34,454 Posts
I had this on my 147 a couple of years ago,pretty disturbing on a diesel.Caused by worn bushes/alignment .Not sure if I really needed new shocks but D&W thought so.Expensive if your garage provides new rear tyre at uncompetitive price.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies all. I'll check the history but i'm sure it had new shocks when the rear was polybushed (std Alfa shocks and springs - though the front has adjustable Konis and std springs) which was only around 15k miles ago, about 2 years. Don't think they would have gone off that quickly? Mind you the tyres could, and probably do pre-date the new suspension and i guess any pre-existing uneven wear might just get worse regardless? This is my dilemma as i don't want to start swapping stuff out if i'm not sure it needs it! The 2.0 i had before the V6 was fine but then that had Dunlops on the back i think. hmmmmmm - will check the suspension history again.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just checked and it had new shocks about 18 months ago so the tyres would definitely pre-date the suspension work. Could it judt be the Eagle F1's are susceptible to this?

·
Vendor
45,830 Posts
The old symmetric eagle f1s are very susceptible to it, they probably went out of shape before the shocks were changed. I'd say you should try a different style of tyre on the rear.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all - think i'll try some new rubber and keep a close eye. Not sure about the top wishbone joint as it was all done during the previous ownership - was very fastidious though so i have literally every receipt - will check and if not i might be able to find out from the garage that did the work.

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Hi all

I've got the dreaded 50p worn tyre syndrome on the rear and the accompanying droning and vibration at slow speeds. I'm really trying to find what causes this - looking at some threads on here i can't find a definitive answer (if in fact there is one!). So, i have Good Year Eagle F1's on the back - the older style with the mad looking pattern and i know these seem to be prone to this.

Many thanks!
Maybe swap the fronts with the rears to see if the problem is replicated with different tyres?

It won't cost you anything. :thumbs:

Edit, this will be far more evident if you have different tyres on the front.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would try that starkers - but i have Eagle F1's on the front as well - less than 6 months old but the new assymetric ones. I would hope these would be ok on the back but will play safe and avoid Eagles altogether i think. Going to revert the the Bridgestone S001's that i used to have on my old Fiat Coupe 20VT. They didn't last that long on the Coupe but on the back of the GTV they should be ok. Wlil then monitor them for any signs of uneven wear!

·
Vendor
45,830 Posts
I've not seen the new asymmetric ones go out of shape yet, I wouldn't be worried about using them on the back.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I had this on my rear tyres two years ago. Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's, they only did about 8k and there was this bobbling across the wall of the surface of the tyre. The tyre was making a dronning noise too. After lots of chatting to people and (the alfa family on here) I changed them to Toyo T1-R's and the noise was gone. Also got all four wheels aligned and have to be honest that was the best money I have spent on her in terms of handling. Car was so much tighter around corners after a full four wheel alignment.

P.s. no sign of the 50p issue on these tyres and have been on for a year now. (touch wood) ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts