Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Probably not a popular choice here but I've got Excelon Performace UHP on mine, premium budget apparently but they seem very good, I needed 2 of the front quick just over a year ago. C rating on both economy and grip etc and Y speed rating. I do give it a good ragging every now and then and the grip is good.
I'm going to buy 2 more and swap the fronts to the back.
:)

·
Registered
809 Posts
I don't think budgets are consistent, I've had good Nagkangs and other budget in the past but also very bad ones. Also budgets tend to be bad in wet weather.

The cheapest I'd go would be Khumo or Toyo as a mid range brand but no lower.

·
Registered
Giulietta 1.4tb Lusso 170 (OU61)
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If you're on 16" then it'll have to be Goodyear Efficient Grip as they don't do Eagles so small...

Shouldn't cost much more than £65 per corner. I got a set of 16"s for £252 Oct last year on a 1.8 Civic. It handled terribly in the wet before on unknown brands and now it's solid.
That will be why I haven't managed to find anything! So the efficient grips are comparable then? :D

·
Registered
809 Posts
That will be why I haven't managed to find anything! So the efficient grips are comparable then? :D
The weather right now is diabolical with flooding roads and the Efficient Grips are fine, no aqua plan surprises. I drive slower in my Civic than I do my 156 normally but no complaints 2k+ miles in.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The weather right now is diabolical with flooding roads and the Efficient Grips are fine, no aqua plan surprises. I drive slower in my Civic than I do my 156 normally but no complaints 2k+ miles in.
I have just booked in for fitting on Saturday, will report back with how I get on.

Thanks all for the suggestions and insight!

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
I'll just throw this out there efficient grip sounds like something that should be on my mums panda, isn't there anything else more interesting in 16's. Ultimately its your choice.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'll just throw this out there efficient grip sounds like something that should be on my mums panda, isn't there anything else more interesting in 16's. Ultimately its your choice.
Not trying to be a rude but is there any reason you say they sound like that?

I did check online reviews of the tyre before booking it and took the previous suggestion into account.

To be honest, I don't want to spend too much and they seem pretty decent for their price point. I'm also possibly being given some 18" Team Dynamics wheels soon so makes no sense to look too into it just yet, I just want something grippy-er than what I've got and believe me that's not very difficult, the ones I've got right now are ridiculously slippy.

·
Registered
38,685 Posts
In the sizes that the Giulietta uses even premium tyres are not too expensive, so it doesn't make sense to go too cheap when it comes to rubber.

I think the Goodyears are only around £65 each at tyreleader in 225/45 r17

And my brother got a set of Efficientgrip 2 in 205/55r16 for around £55 per tyre including fitting.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
You’ll probably get as many opinions as there are members on the forum, but here’s my contribution.
Iron Wizard did warn you. There’s been very many threads on these treads. For what it’s worth my GTV has Goodyear F1 17” and the Giulietta has Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres 18”. They suit the the cars they are fitted to in those sizes.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Remember when it was either Castrol XL or XXL depending on the season and then along came Duckhams Q. Simpler times! (Actually just a bit before my time). For rubber it was either Dunlop or Avon.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
In the sizes that the Giulietta uses even premium tyres are not too expensive, so it doesn't make sense to go too cheap when it comes to rubber.

I think the Goodyears are only around £65 each at tyreleader in 225/45 r17

And my brother got a set of Efficientgrip 2 in 205/55r16 for around £55 per tyre including fitting.
There was nobody else with the Efficient Grip 2s in stock locally so I booked in with Kwikfit, but £150 for a set of fronts including balancing and alignment, seeing as the car was 9 years old when I bought it, it can't hurt for those to be done.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Another vote for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetic 5's. Had them on my Quadrifoglio LE now for 16 months and 16,000 miles. Fronts maybe only 30-40% worn, rears still look like new (after 4 wheel alignment) and wet and dry grip, and noise, is very good. Not too expensive either.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Just tried a pedal to the medal acceleration in my remapped JTDm... Radionav G-meter says 0.8G in 2nd gear, don't know in first as it goes to fast to register in my mind and grip definitely is an issue (going to 4500 in 1 second, then switching to 2nd). 3rd gear says 0.6G.

My vote goes to crossclimates... I'm running the original ones in 205/50R17 for winter. Disclaimer, the private track I was on was dry and 2c warm...

·
Registered
703 Posts
oh and before someone else comments, I know that 0.8G acceleration is impossible. But it's definitely up from before the remap, and more than the 20% I was expecting

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Remember when it was either Castrol XL or XXL depending on the season and then along came Duckhams Q. Simpler times! (Actually just a bit before my time). For rubber it was either Dunlop or Avon.
A nice lady down my street sells Avon!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I had the Goodyear Efficient Grip 2s fitted and my tracking adjusted and it's like night and day, almost like a new car!

My steering was clunky and heavy before and I couldn't pull away without spinning and all of that is gone now. Can highly recommend these tyres.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts