1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Giulietta 1.4tb Lusso 170 (OU61)
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As above. What are you guys using?

I've got some dunlops on mine which came with the car when I purchased it, can't quite remember what they're called though.

Basically I'm getting fed up with the car spinning in 1st and 2nd all the time and having to modulate the throttle.

Is there anything anyone can recommend, preferably mid price range and something that would give me better grip in the wet?

Give me your thoughts!

·
Registered
36,768 Posts
I tried a few brands on my Giuliettas and I’d recommend Goodyears but it possibly depends on wheel size.

·
Registered
36,768 Posts
The Dunlop TT tyres are very gappy treaded. Pirellis seemed quite hard. Goodyear felt right. All on 18” wheels.

·
Registered
875 Posts
You’ll probably get as many opinions as there are members on the forum, but here’s my contribution.
I have Goodyear Efficient Grip on the front and quite like them, although I doubt I drive anywhere near their limits. They seem good in wet and dry weather.
On the rear I have some horrible cheap things that were on it when I bought the car and will most likely be replaced with Goodyears when they wear out. I’m on 17s.
I used Uniroyal Rain Experts on my 156 and found them quiet and grippy, but they’re quite soft so wear out a little more quickly.

·
Registered
Giulietta 1.4tb Lusso 170 (OU61)
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You’ll probably get as many opinions as there are members on the forum, but here’s my contribution.
I have Goodyear Efficient Grip on the front and quite like them, although I doubt I drive anywhere near their limits. They seem good in wet and dry weather.
On the rear I have some horrible cheap things that were on it when I bought the car and will most likely be replaced with Goodyears when they wear out. I’m on 17s.
I used Uniroyal Rain Experts on my 156 and found them quiet and grippy, but they’re quite soft so wear out a little more quickly.
Thanks for the contribution!

I would just like to be able to pull away spiritedly with a bit more confidence, the car is good fun to drive but pulling away like miss daisy due to a lack of grip takes a lot away from the enjoyment really 😆

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
I've fitted Michelin Pilot sport 4 and I'd say they are worth the money, a german magazine reviewed it in my size for 17's and it was top 2 for most categories, I've done 6000 miles and the fronts look just run in,

·
Registered
36,768 Posts
Michelin tyres used to be very durable but it wasn’t good for business so they’ve gone a bit softer and gripper.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I’m using Pirelli PZero on 18 inch alloys and find them really good with plenty of grip. They are fitted to a 2015 QV

·
Registered
184 Posts
Firestone Firehawks on mine. They're not the best at any one thing but they're a good balance and take a good deal of pushing in the wet to make them slip.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1 on my 156, I've used various Eagle F1 incarnations for decades now. Always very solid and well priced for a premium brand tyre.

Forced to get Goodyear Efficient Grip on my Honda Civic as they don't sell Eagles in 16". Drives well with them.

Probably can't go too far wrong with a top brand, never go budget! Have driven on absolute shockers in the past that make driving in heavy rain very hairy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1 on my 156, I've used various Eagle F1 incarnations for decades now. Always very solid and well priced for a premium brand tyre.

Forced to get Goodyear Efficient Grip on my Honda Civic as they don't sell Eagles in 16". Drives well with them.

Probably can't go too far wrong with a top brand, never go budget! Have driven on absolute shockers in the past that make driving in heavy rain very hairy.
+1 for Goodyear Eagle F1's

I used them constantly on a Celica 190 T-Sport and they were fantastic in both wet and dry. The only time they broke traction in the wet was when you were actually doing it on purpose accelerating out of corners, as you do.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 MA Exclusive
14 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetic 5's as has already been mentioned are probably the best without spending ridiculous money.

I currently have Pirelli P7 Cinturato's which are good but more expensive than the Goodyear Eagle's if I remember rightly.

·
Registered
38,680 Posts
Another vote for Goodyears here. We ran both the Assymetric 2 and Assymetric 3 on our Giulietta and they were great. It currently wears Falken FK510's which are are also very good if slightly noisier. But they were only £165 for 4 on offer hence I went for them

My Bimmer has Assymetric 5 which are brilliant.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Another vote for Asymmetric 5. Very grippy and also comfortable, have them fitted on the 156 and Spider both are on 215/45/17.

On the Giulietta we have Michelin Pilot Sport 4 225/40/18 and they are brilliant. Again very grippy and surprisingly comfortable on 40 profile rubber.

I think any top tyre from Goodyear and Michelin will be good. Did try Dunlops once and didn't like them, and they started cracking along the tread pattern as well when only half worn.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I’m a convert to Michelin. Currently got PS4 on my mito multiair and the mrs’ 280bhp rwd 1600kg merc and they’re equally brilliant on both. Superb grip in the dry, excellent in the wet and even very good in winter in anything other than actual snow on the ground.

The grip / tyre life balance is pure witchcraft, I’ve had softer tyres which have had as much grip but less than half the tyre life. I’ve had tyres which last as long but miles less grip.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetic 5s fitted to an Mk 1 Audi TT and recently got the Goodyear Efficient Grips on my Giulietta (16 inch wheels).

I must admit I can't fault either.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'm on 16s at the moment mate, thanks for reply
If you're on 16" then it'll have to be Goodyear Efficient Grip as they don't do Eagles so small...

Shouldn't cost much more than £65 per corner. I got a set of 16"s for £252 Oct last year on a 1.8 Civic. It handled terribly in the wet before on unknown brands and now it's solid.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts