Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys, not really sure how to use the search function and I guess theres prob a few threads surrounding tyres.
I have a 159 oil burner on an 07 and I need new boots all round.
Can any of you suggest some good budget tyres and approx costs fitted. If I did my research correct on National Tyres they're £160 each :cry:
I need a real saving on this.
225, 17, 50, Y

Many, many thanks

·
Registered
4,150 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so it seems I could save some money buying via ebay.
But, how much to have them fitted and balanced etc???
Do garages not mind you taking your own tyres in?
Has anyone else ever done it this way?

Thanks

·
Registered
30,018 Posts
Goodyear's for £80 a tyre. V rated (149mph), 4 budget tyres for under £200! - No need for Y rating as your 159 will not be able to do that anyway. Load index is what matters at 98.
What speed rating is the car spec'd with?

It does matter, even if you never reach that speed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ones that are currently on are Y rated and i assume that's the official classification.
My 159 is a 1.9 Diesel 07 reg.
Rating has a huge impact on the price.
If have to pay £120 or more / tyre it's going, simple as that......
Perhaps I should have done more research as I do high miles and the MPG is tough to swallow already, but if I don't get the flexibility on tyres it's going to cost too much to run.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm sure that the stated rating in the handbook is 'W' My 2.4 also has 'Y' rated tyres. I understand your concern over tyre prices. They are not cheap for these cars!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have a look at Vredestein and Falken - certainly cheaper than Pirelli and get good reviews. Should be under £100 per corner.

·
Registered
137 Posts
suggest you try searching:- www.blackcircles.co Tyres 40% Cheaper than leading tyres depots, free mobile tyre fitting www.mytyres-online.co.uk Cheap Tyre Prices | Dunlop Goodyear Pirelli | Discount Car Tyres | Tyre Shopper
Should be able to find something on one of these and some will arrange/book fitting as well
Michelin Premacy HP, Pirelli P7, Bridgestone Turanza ER300, ContiPremiumContact2 and Fulda Carat Progresso all come out well in a well known consumer (?) magazine this month
I know I need some for my 156 Sportwagon fairly soon

·
Registered
568 Posts
I had 4 Bridgestone Turanza fitted less than a month ago for £290 at Kwikfit. Got the cheapest price I could find online printed it off and took it to Kwikfit. They will = anyprice you can show them just dont let them try and "advise" you other work needs doing, going to Kwikfit is like going to the Sopranos:lol:
The roadholding in dry or wet is excellent just dont know about longevity.
We use michelin on our vans and have vans hitting 160.000 k with the original Michelins

·
Registered
297 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Got the same car and tyres as you and i just had 4 Toyo Proxes t1r's fitted for just under £400 and can recommend them for grip noise etc, but can't comment on longevity yet.

EDIT I went to a local place and offered to pay cash to get this price, beat any on the net :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Intersting data guys, thanks.
What's the charge going to be if I take 4 tyres into say Kwick Fit and ask them to put them on??

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have come across the Falken 452 in numerous other situations including fitting to Porche's, Subaru's and BMW's of all shapes and sizes and am considering them for my 159SW

The only downside is the load rating is only 94 against the standard rating on the Bridgestones of 98

Why fit a load rating of 1653kg to a car that is 100 kg less? or am I missing something here?

Speed rating is not the issue just load rating

Side note, the Saab 93 Sportwagon on 225/45R17 has a load rating of 91 (1356kg load rating) on Continental Sport Contact 2

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Intersting data guys, thanks.
What's the charge going to be if I take 4 tyres into say Kwick Fit and ask them to put them on??
Don't go to kwik fit but try a local independent - Usually £10/tyre fitted and balanced for me, 4 for £30.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts