Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

My Brera still has it's original Pzero rears and a replacement set of P-Zero fronts on after 16500 miles. The rear left is flat and there's a possibility it's beyond repair (wife is kindly taking it to the tyre guys today). If the rear left is gone, it will be a shame as the rears have barely worn at all after 16K miles!

If the rear left is gone, I take it I have to replace both rears at the same time to keep the VDC etc happy? If so I plan to get a pair of Vredstein Ultrac Sessantas and put them on the fronts, and put the front Pirellis on the rear.

However, will having Vredsteins on the fronts and Pirells on the rear for a few thousand miles upset the VDC and balance etc? The car is a FWD 2.2.

If the rear left is repairable, then I would switch the fronts to the back and replace the whole set with Vredsteins next year.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have the same situation on mine, brand new Ultrac's on front and 18 month old Pzeros on back. The Ultracs sound a lot better and have not noticed any adverse handling issues to be honest..... not sure if it will affect the electronics would have thought not as long the you had the matching tyres on the same end of the car.....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bear in mind that it's usually recommended that you put the new tyres on the back if you're only changing one set.

As to the main question. I have goodyear eagle f1 assyms on the rear of my ti (245 width instead of 235) and no problems at all. Will change the other two pzeros to the same when the time comes. The goodyear's are much better than the pzeros imo.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have no experience of Vredstein tyres, but I agree with RS and I get on better with Eagles than PZeros. The old rule of 'Best to Back' is based on the fact that it's more difficult to deal with a dynamic rear tyre failure than one to the front. As for replacing tyres together on the same axle, if you can afford to, you should.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Have you tried the internet mobile companys? They are almost always cheaper and come to work or home to do it when it suits you, plus you can see prices on net and compare before you buy..... have used e-tyres and event tyres before now without a problem......

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As for replacing tyres together on the same axle, if you can afford to, you should.
Is that about keeping the tread depth the same so as not to upset the VDC etc? I would definitely keep the same make tyres on an axle so the tread pattern is the same. Will the tread depth also affect the VDC or can it compensate?

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tried the internet mobile companys? They are almost always cheaper and come to work or home to do it when it suits you, plus you can see prices on net and compare before you buy..... have used e-tyres and event tyres before now without a problem......
Looking into those now, thanks John! My tires are good but they deliver to a local fitting place and take 4 working days, ideally I need it done by friday morning which is looking pretty unlikely now...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts