Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Totally deflated n/s front tyre. Both fronts are S800 from BCT (Beiging)....not worth risking my neck.... what to go for...help! please! My mate with a Honda Civic Type R says Bridgestones..:confused:..215 x 45 on 17 inch rims ..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Id recommend Continental Sport Contacts, had them to replace the original Bridgestone and were a massive improvement, they are reasonably expensive tho, for a more mid range take a look at Hankook range, used them in a few previous cars and was impressed

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
We have had 2 sets of Hankook v12 evo s on now, first set I bought to try because they were mega cheap, but they equalled the p zero in the dry and wet and beat them in the winter.

They are a little soft, but the low price off sets this no problem.

Buy from Camskill.

Bridgestones technology is years out of date in my opinion, I wouldn't pay premium prices for them.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Got a set of F1s on the front now on my Mito, no complaints as good as if not better than Pzeros in both wet and dry. Not sure about wear yet.

GK

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had the bridgestone ER300s from new on mine and they did 50000 miles with 60% motorway 40% rural, grips very good on them as well.

But as they are pretty expensive and id heard good things about falken 914s I gave them a go and th grip is comparible although slightly less in wet and the wear seems to be similar to the bridgestones over the past 10000 miles.

·
Registered
320 Posts
cheers for the feedback guys, much appreciated! Any idea howuch mileage to expect from fronts doing mainly straight high speed motorway driving 70-90 mph?
Good choice on the F1s.:thumbs:

My OHs MJ got 34K miles for a set of 17inch P0s rotating the front to the back. The Uniroyals did not wear as well with 2 of them getting bulges despite being the heavier grade 91W XL.

From this ADAC review it looks like the F1s have relatively low wear. Comparing the wear ratings reckon you might get 30K miles providing your tracking is spot on and tyres are at the right pressure and you're not flooring it.

I take it that you're putting the new tyres on the front and leaving the old ones on the back.

We're currently considering getting a set of Achilles ATR Sports They are £45 but comparing them with the F1s you get what you pay for. Did notice a review on the AF and they don't see too bad.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steering seem a lot lighter now on the F1's though I guess the Chinese BCT's on previously were heavier as they were reinforced.. Would be happy to get 20000 miles from the GoodYears. Maybe should have got the tracking done, but that was an extra 35 notes! original Pirelli P0 Neros on the back with about 3mm tread left after 26k miles.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Steering seem a lot lighter now on the F1's though I guess the Chinese BCT's on previously were heavier as they were reinforced.. Would be happy to get 20000 miles from the GoodYears. Maybe should have got the tracking done, but that was an extra 35 notes! original Pirelli P0 Neros on the back with about 3mm tread left after 26k miles.
Would you consider swapping the wheels around and wearing out the P0s. It'll justify another set of F1s before the colder wet weather comes in.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi multispoke.. mmm that's a thought! need to balance the rears for use on the front...plus I don't really want to fork out for more tyres until at least April next year.Prefer to have more tread on the front even though people go on about oversteer due to likelihood of rear-end slide... just use opposite lock!! simples....or put a concrete block in the boot like I did my Hillman Imp Sport! (except otherway round as rwd! lol!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
One flaw with the P0s is poor aquaplaning characteristics but they stopped well. This graph below came from a reputable German test (tyre was the Pirelli Cinturato P1) . Remember one guy on the AF saying that the Pirellis were great and from my experience I had a problem with them in the wet on bends. It was also one of the reasons why I ended up with Uniroyals as a mid range purchase plus they were on special at the time). I've learned the hard way that the best insurance policy is not to run your tyres to the legal limit of 1.6mm. At 3mm you've lost 25% performance from when it was new. You might have to nurse those rears if you going to wait another 9 months.;)

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts