Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need to replace the front tyres on my 156 2.0 Selespeed. It is on standard wheels. It currently has Dunlop SP Sports which don't impress. I simply want safe, predictable, not too noisy motoring, not ultimate grip stickies.
What should I buy?
Does the sidewall construction make a difference?
Any to avoid?

Thanks.

Peter

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
i use falkens, im a convert as of 3 yrs ago. i was using continental sport contact 2's, but they got very expensive, so got fk452's and there is hardly any difference peroformance wise, but there about half the price:D

there relativly cheap,pretty quiet, and the grip is excellent, wet or dry. i use FK 452's. they also do ZE912's which are slightly better in the wet, but not quite as good in the dry. very similar though. the fk452's were supposed to take over the ze912's but there selling them side by side now;)

thats my recommendation anyway;):thumbs:

·
0 Posts
I was using bridgestone turanza's which were very good, on this car i have Kuhmo (sp.?) which i have to say are better than i thought they would be in the snow/ice they stop me pretty quickly :)

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I was using bridgestone turanza's which were very good, on this car i have Kuhmo (sp.?) which i have to say are better than i thought they would be in the snow/ice they stop me pretty quickly :)
khumo's and falkens are pretty evenly matched, good tyres:thumbs:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tyres - thanks for your help

Hi,
Thanks for your recommendations. I found out how bad my front tyres were because of the snow and a total lack of traction in these conditions. Unfortunately the snow restricted my options and I couldn't go further afield to find suppliers for Falkens etc. I did find a website which some of you might find useful.

I was quoted by Kwikfit for £120 a tyre for Continentals and even more for Pirellis and Goodyears. They even wanted £80+ for CEATs. I went online and found a website - tyre-shopper.co.uk. This had Pirelli P6000 and Goodyear NCT for £73 apiece fitted. They fit nationally using National Tyres. They had the Goodyears in stock so I had them fitted same day (they tell you they need 48 hours notice but I rang them and pushed them into it).

The best price I could find for Falkens on the net was £63 so an extra tenner I didn't feel was too bad. I'll let you know how well they work once the snow has retreated - they certainly got me home more safely.

Peter
PS: The guys at National Tyres were very helpful and the web site price was the actual price I paid. They noticed a tracking problem (I have a bush or two to do for the MOT next month) but quoted me £28 to do it which I thought a bit steep.

·
Registered
38,888 Posts
I am a falken Convert here too.

I first used Falkens (FK-451's) on my First Fiat Coupe. I have sinced used Toyo proxes T1-R, Yokohama S306, Goodyear eagle GSD3's, Goodyear NCT-5's and Falken FK-452's.

The FK-452's are best out of the lot IMO, plus they are quite cheap.

I get mine from Blackcircles.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Dunlop offer several in the SP Sport range ... the only ones for me are the SP Sport Maxx but then these are on 16" alloys. For me one of the factors has to be rim protection ... I hate to see chewed up alloys ...

The Sport Maxx are good in wet or dry. They are just starting to loose their effectiveness and are down to about 2mm .. not helped by me trying to get up the drive on Thursday and finding myself doing 60MPH and stationary ... gave up soon after and watched the cloud of burnt rubber floating away!!

The replacements will be the same ...

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Just replaced my T1Rs with another set cos they're quite impressive. I was surprised, given the tread pattern, to find they were good in the snow too!

I've used and been impressed with Goodyear Excellence - a friend has put a set on his 159 and is also impressed. And Vredestein Sportrac 3 are very grippy, particularly in the wet, but don't seem to last long on my heavier diesel engined car. I used to use them on my 145 and they were fantastic tyres on that.....

Everyone has their own favourites. I've heard lots of good things about the Falkens as well...

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
TR1's for me too, very impressive - take a while to 'bed in' but have an insane amount of grip. No wheelspin, just goes from standstill unlike cheapo tyres.

Mine are crap on ice though but I dont think i will use anything else now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts