Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front ...2 x Nankang .... (4mm)
Back ....2 x Accelerra ....(2mm)

Accelerra's not too bad but the Nankangs are deafening , budget max £80 per shoe ....recommendations please with emphasis on sshhhhhhhhhhhh.......ta

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Got a set of Falken Ziex ZE-914 on my 147 earlier this year from Blackcircles, slightly over budget, think they were £84 a corner but find them much quieter than the Continental Sport contacts that were on before and they are great in the wet, can't say much for wear rates yet as they have only done about 3k but seem to be doing well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
National Tyre Services (no, I don't work for them) have a BOGOF on Avon and Barum (nee Conti) at the moment. Got 2 for 151 pounds (pound sign has gone....) fitted. If they only last the summer that's value. And they're MUCH quieter than the Pirelli Rossos that came off. And no tramlining.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Could it be the Nankangs sound louder due to them being on the front and due to the doppler effect you hear more noise from the front rather than the rear...

#Science

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Worn tyres will always be louder that new ones. So regardless of what you fit they will sound quieter, the true test will come later.

Rainsport 2s and Toyo TR-1s get really noisy but Asymetic 2s don't increase much when worn. - Fantastic tyre :inlove:

Best to look for a tyre that is rated highly for noise; but there are other factors to consider such as grip!

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Noise
As well as their contribution to fuel consumption, tyres affect the environment because of the exterior noise they generate.

To reduce noise pollution from road transport, tyre manufacturers must comply with regulations setting increasingly stringent maximum limits for the noise that tyres generate external to the car.

The bottom part of the label shows exterior noise level, measured in decibels (dB). Bear in mind that a 3dB difference is equal to a doubling (or halving) of the noise output.

A single 'sound wave' shows that the tyre's noise level is 3dB better than the future European limit.

Two black 'sound waves' shows that the tyre meets the future European limit.

Three black 'sound waves' shows that the tyre only meets the current European limit for noise.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The noise levels quoted with the tyres refer to the level of sound as measured as the car drives by from outside the car. This does not mean that the tyre is the quietest from within the car just because it's drive by levels are the lowest.

I have done a bit of research on this as I find the Pirelli Rossos on my GT to be too noisy and I've found that the Goodyear F1 Asymmetrical 2 consistently come out as the most comfortable and quietest as assessed from inside the car.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Could it be the Nankangs sound louder due to them being on the front and due to the doppler effect you hear more noise from the front rather than the rear...

#Science
The Doppler effect would not be active in this situation, as you and the sound source are in effect stationary in relation to each other.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If we're being strictly accurate here: 1. Under the Doppler effect the loudness wouldn't change, only the pitch. 2. As kam correctly states, the position of the driver to a given wheel does not change so the pitch is constant (at a constant speed). Doppler is only perceived when two objects are travelling relative to each other. Herr Einstein sorted this out 100 years ago.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts