Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the look out for a pair of

205/40 R17 tyres.

Having played a few local 'We beat anybody elses price' places off against each other, I managed

Marshall Z rated tyres at £62 a corner inc. all balancing etc.

Pirelli P7000 again Z rated at £78 a corner, all inc.
Good? Bad? About right?

Any other opinions etc?

Ta

Andy

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
The MARSHALLS are cheap budget tyres hence the price

Have you got any tyre warehouses near you we have a couple and can get FALKEN 205/40 zr17 for around £55 a tyre :D

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
go for the pirrelli's they are lovelly and encourage fast cornering BUT as with all tyres that grip well they will wear out quicker as they are softer compound . the cheapest i found the pirrelli's for was £86 from a tyre supplier to the trade.also some tyre will have a treadwear rating on them i think it goes from 100 to 300 and 300 being that it will last longer in the us they have to have them , one more point the pirrelli's dont have the biggest of rim protectors on them where as the marshals have a bigger one and funny enough i have one of each on the front end and they seem to grip the same ? not sure about in the wet though.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jimybob, I got these quotes from Formula 1, Apex were more expensive by about £10 on both types of tyre.

Bummer

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fletch, I think the higher treadware rating, the quicker they wear out. My Toyos are 280 and they err... are dissapearing fast on the front. Used about a third of the tread and only covered 2500 - 3000 miles since fitting. I don't even give the car that much stick either !!!!
Just aswell they were only £42 each.

Think the Nanking Woosung HeeHaw Dark Horses are going back on when they wear out. I've two almost new ones in the shed.

Marlon

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you can get 17 inch P7000 for £78 then buy them, you won't be disappointed, I paid more than that for my last set.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Marlon.. why you no likeee the toyos?! I've found them pretty good for the price - though positively dangerous in the snow!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awex, the Toyos are vewee good, just wearwing out a bit quickwee for my whiking !!!

Maybe it's because I now take fast country bends at warp speed 'cos the car handles really well with the soft boots.

Marlon

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
aahhh yup, I'd agree with that.. they are pretty soft! though at 42 quid a corner, you can replace them twice as often! wink

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I do tons of cruising miles so need a harder tyre to prevent weekly replacement eek!
I used to have pirelli but 15 - 20K was the limit on them, although the grip was supurb :D Michellins aretheones to go for for length of life as I get a good 20-25K on pilot primacy with a trackwear of 280 (its 20-25K as I rotate the tyres and the fronts wear faster than the rear!). Bored with the crap cornering power of the primacy - they are like metal hoops over wooden sidewalls for all the grip you have - I tried primacy sport. Hurray!!! trackwear is only down to 260 so plenty of life, but the grip is hugely better. Not as good as a Pzero but they last 33% longer.
Mine were £89 each all in , but that is 205/55/16/Z.
Conclusion:
a) Pirelli for grip but they wear out
b) Michelin for value on miles but you willlose some grip, depending on the one you choose.
c) why the hell are you still reading this rubbish
Moral: (dons dog-collar)
Don`t buy cheap tyres. Buy a good, named brand. Saving £10 per corner is not so important when you think its only the tyre that connects the car (and you) to the nasty, slippy road. Save money somewhere less important.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay then chaps.
I have pretty much decided on good quality tyres instead of Marshalls ones. However, my local tyre fitting place says that they will beat any price for any tyre any where as long as I know were and what price etc.

Therefore, could I be so rude as to ask what prices people are getting for what tyres at which places.

Cheers chaps.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi,

I've just ordered a couple of Goodyear Eagle F1's.
They're directional tyres, they also have an extra large lip on the edge of the tyre, which claims to help prevent curbing etc. I'd heard good reports about them, so thought i'd give 'em a go.
Whatever tyres you're going for, you might wanna try an online store, they can be a LOT cheaper than from a tyre fitters.

Try this link: Mytyres.net
I found them to be the cheapest of the online tyre outlets. The F1's set me back £94 a corner from here, which was around £40 cheaper than Halfords for instance.
They also have a deal going with tyre fitters around the country, so you can get them fitted slightly cheaper too, around £7 a tyre i think including valves/balancing etc.
The site also has a link to a site giving consumer ratings and opinions of just about every tyre you can think of.
On the downside i'm gonna have to wait a week or so to get 'em, but i certainly couldn't find anywhere cheaper. Oh, and i'm running on 205/40/17's.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have hit the jackpot.

Will be buying a set of Marshall tyres.

Talked to a guy today into modified cars, not normally my thing.

He said that Marshall tyres are hugely under-rated, they are Z rated, and he uses them on his Impreza. Says they are longer lasting tham Yokos and Pirellis. Also said that they don't scrub as badly on the edges and offer better rim protectors as well.

I was sold and at £60 a corner fitted, they are the choice at present.

Any horror stories about these, please say before tomorrow when the months wages get spent.

Andy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts