Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experienced any issues on this??

My garage reliably informs me that my suspected wheel bearing issue is highly likely to be worn rear tyres (4 and 5mm respectively). Cost differential between the sizes is shaking out at £15+ cheaper a corner to go wider, so giving it some serious thought! Mechanic reckoned it could knacker the ABS sensor by upsizing......??

Any tips, hints, suggestions or experiences welcomed.... :biglaugh:

Also, if you know of any good tyre deals feel free to share!:beer:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I can't see how moving from (presumably) 215/45R17 to 225/45R17 would "knacker" the ABS sensor on a 147. Surely the ABS sensor is the same on all the various 147 models, including the GTA. The GTA's OEM size tyres are 225/45R17.

It's an increase of 9mm in diameter. That's within the tolerance of a new tyre vs a worn tyre. As in, a 225/45R17 which has had 4,5mm of its tread worn away would be the same total diameter as a new 215/45R17 tyre.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Anyone experienced any issues on this??

My garage reliably informs me that my suspected wheel bearing issue is highly likely to be worn rear tyres (4 and 5mm respectively). Cost differential between the sizes is shaking out at £15+ cheaper a corner to go wider, so giving it some serious thought! Mechanic reckoned it could knacker the ABS sensor by upsizing......??

Any tips, hints, suggestions or experiences welcomed.... :biglaugh:

Also, if you know of any good tyre deals feel free to share!:beer:
Have you had a good look at the wear pattern?

My rears have got about 6mm left over the tread, but the inner shoulder is worn in a very distinct saw-tooth pattern which causes a very distinctive rumble at speed - very bearingy...

So if you do get new tyres, make sure you get the car on a 4-wheel alignment rack immediately or you'll be changing them again in no time.

225 is standard width on the Blackline and Cloverleaf editions - what dimension rims are you running?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
ABS would only be bothered if the wheels weren't all turning at the same rpm. Not sure how much of a difference would be needed, but as long as you're changing all 4 tyres it won't be a problem.

I've had 225/45/17s on mine for a few years, no issue. As for affecting the speedo, according to my smartphone, it's now closer to actual speed that it was with 215s fitted.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I found that 225 tended to be cheaper than 215.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
The ABS (or any system) wont give a hoot if the tires are of different width.
The only thing it cares about is if the wheel is spinning at different speeds on the front and rear axles.

And all of the Alfa 17 inch wheels accept 225s.

I would go with 225s myself..

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
It's not only the width that changes with a change from 215/45R17 to 225/45R17 tyres. The sidewall height also increases (only by 4,5mm, though) which leads to any point on the two tyres spinning at different speeds at the same rpm, because the 225/45 has a larger diameter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, plenty of food for thought here.

Forgot to mention these are 18" rims. Standard DC set up.....

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Mechanic reckoned it could knacker the ABS sensor by upsizing......??
If you want to go up from 215/40R18 to 225/40R18, change all four.
Don't run a mix of sizes.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Goes without saying bud, no staggering here.... :thumbup:
Only thing to consider is arch clearance.
Should be easy to check. As well as the 10mm extra width, you'll have 8mm more diameter.

You'd like to think that there must have been a reason why Alfa chose 215/40R18 rather than 225/40R18, but then again they also chose the completely unobtainable 235/35R18 for the 147GTA...!!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Original size tyre was probably fitted on price. However, over a period of time larger tyres get cheaper, become the norm and get cheaper again. 35 years ago a 15" tyre would have been almost unheard of and barely affordable for most. When I started driving almost everything except a mini (smaller) and exotic supercars (larger) was on 13" wheels. I remember thinking the Ford Cortina Mk2 on 175/70/13 (is that right?) was a very special and expensive tyre for a fairly ordinary every day saloon car.

Anyway back to OP question. Provided all tyres are same size ABS won't know, won't care and won't be affected.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Plenty of choice of tyre on mytyres. Price difference isn't that significant between sizes either with many brands. I've stuck with 215 because i usually buy only 2 at a time.

V

·
0 Posts
As David C has alluded to, the 225s might give you arch-clearance issues.

Especially if your car is lowered and you carry passengers. It might only be the arch-liner rubbing but can be annoying nevertheless.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Original size tyre was probably fitted on price. However, over a period of time larger tyres get cheaper, become the norm and get cheaper again. 35 years ago a 15" tyre would have been almost unheard of and barely affordable for most. When I started driving almost everything except a mini (smaller) and exotic supercars (larger) was on 13" wheels. I remember thinking the Ford Cortina Mk2 on 175/70/13 (is that right?) was a very special and expensive tyre for a fairly ordinary every day saloon car.

Anyway back to OP question. Provided all tyres are same size ABS won't know, won't care and won't be affected.
I remember my old man having a Mk 4 Cortina back in the day. 185/70 13's!! He thought he was chocolate lol... :thumbup:

As David C has alluded to, the 225s might give you arch-clearance issues.

Especially if your car is lowered and you carry passengers. It might only be the arch-liner rubbing but can be annoying nevertheless.
Running a standard set up, with the occasional rear passenger to two.... Hopefully shouldn't cause too much of an issue. :happy:

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Running 225/40/18's on my 147, and I do get the odd touch on the rear arches if I have a rear passenger in there, but mine is lowered by about 45mm so I would say on standard spring's you won't have a problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts