Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
came out in the thunder and lightnight today to a flat tyre. The tyres are firestone firehawks which were looking ok still with 1 to 2 mm to the tread indicators. had planned to change them around christmas. took off the tyre and saw it has totally worn the inside half inch off the thread and it and the tyre wall have parted company. The tyre looks in good condition till you take it off. I know 155's are hard on front tyres. the car drives well but could this wear be due to shocks or wishbones. Is this excessive wear as to the eye from looking straight at the car or from the sides the tyres look good and not in need of a change. big blow pout if it had happened at speed.

jim

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh.. wrinx is into writing crossword clues nowadays :p lol

as he said though.. could be a combination fo Work wishbones, low tyre pressure and worn shocks.

I uses to get this problem wuite bad... my shocks and wbones were goosed tho.. replaced them all and pumped up my tyres a bit... problem nearly gone.

I think due to the camber of the wheels they will suffer from this a bit anyway, so from what i'm experiencing in very slight inner wear.. i think that's about right.

Also it'd eb agood idea to get your tracking checked too.

j

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got a chace to look at the passenger side last night when dry and the tyre looks good. tyre wear as you would expect so, it looks as if something suspension related is wrong on drivers side. bank holiday this weekend, appropriate timing.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it stands to be a fair chance its either the wishbone or the shocker i'd reckon.

j

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi guys,

This sounds familiar, drivers side front tyre rubbing the inside inch off the tread. Mine too. I've replaced the shocks, the wishbones (fitted powerflex bushes while I was at it) and had the alignment checked and it's fine. That was six months ago and guess what? It's still the fecking same!!
The new Toyo I put on is wearing fast around the inside edge. Since I've replaced the whole front end bar the springs my attentions have now turned to the rear. I'm thinking worn rear swing arm bearings causing the back end to move around during cornering. Maybe this would give the front end too much to do. Sound plausable?

If you find the problem before I do let me know.

Cheers

Hugh.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What tyre pressure are you running?

155's do wear the inner edges due to the suspension set.

wrinx

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Wrinx,

Tyre pressures, now there's a story. You know these "accurate" digital gauges you can get? Well a lot of them ain't that accurate. Mine is 1.5psi off. After noticing that all four tyres would wear more in the centre than at the edges indicating over-inflation I checked my gauge with others and found the problem. Anyway, the long and short is I run factory standard which from memory is 32 front, 29 rear. This gives equal tyre wear across all of the tyres (except the duff bit of the front right). I have heard that the 155 tends to wear the inside edges but this shouldn't be so excessive on just ONE tyre - something is definately squint. I'll find it eventually!!

Cheers

Hugh.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Theory about the rear sounds possible.....also, has your motor ever been in a smash? May have done some damage not obvious to the eye :(

wrinx

·
Registered
41 Posts
That ugly thought has crossed my mind as well, I was glad to hear that somebody else has had the same problem as that kindof reduces the chances of me having a bent car, although not impossible. I'll need to try to get the time to remove the rear shocks and springs and get a decent feel of the movment in the rear arms. With the spring still on it's impossible to tell. If that shows no signs then who knows.

Thanks for the help though bud, always good to bounce some ideas off others.

Hugh.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quite a lot of info here. To sort your 155 problems JD, it is probably a combination of a wishbone bush or balljoint worn on the worst side and possibly not ideal tracking settings.
The biggest clue would be a marked difference in each side. Note- nearside (passenger side) tyres always were faster. There are normally slight differences in each tyre wear bias so just be sure that your not mistaken into thinking one side is much worse when its only a little more worn.

Although 155s are prone for inner shoulder wear, regular checking should detect this. I think it is not shocks (dampers) as you would feel seasick. Worn wishbones can make a knocking sound from the front and/or non linearity in the steering. I don't think it is from the rear trailing arms as, again, you would here knocking over rough surfaces.

Rear trailing arm bushes are always best tested by raising the rear off the ground (both sides at the same time) and by pulling the bottom of the wheel firmly upwards and outwards. Any slop is gubbed trailing arms. No need to dismantle to test.

Final advice: don't use Firestones as they are crap. Wouldn't fit them to a lawnmower. Get something decent the Michelins (Exalto or Sport Pilot). If you drive quickly, you WILL notice the difference.

Ally- 1.8 16v :D

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
X19er have you checked the strut top mounting :confused:

If it`s collapsed then it will camber one wheel and cause uneven tyre wear

Btw the only way to check it is to take the strut off as when its on the car there`s too much pressure from the spring to check for play

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi guys,

Yes, I checked the strut tops when I changed the struts. I've had this problem for over a year now as it takes so long to find out it's not fixed. I started by changing the wishbones, then all the shocks. Wheel alignment has been checked and is within spec. I am getting some hollow knocking from the rear left driving slowly over rough ground so that's why I'm now thinking rear swing arm. Time will tell. Just ordered a new exhaust from AO so when it's in the air for fitting that I'll have a look at the swing arms.

Cheers

Hugh.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"All 155's wear inner edge due to suspension settings...."

Not any of mine, in 15K miles on the first 16v, 12K miles on the V6 and about 8K on the wife's 16v, all the tyres are still wearing even.

I haven't changed a single thing except one strut on the V6 (so one new and one done 100K miles and still even tyre wear....). Am I just lucky..?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My car doesn't wear uneven either. That's too of us lucky.

M

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Mine appears to be wearing the outer edges eek! but i think is has something to do with the tyre`s scrabbling for grip whilst i`m screaming round the corner`s at Warp Factor 9 :rolleyes: :D :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts