Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious, take as an example a 1970's Ford Fiesta on brand new tyre's, and a 2010 Fiesta with no tread left at all on a wet road, both going at 50, slap on the brakes, without any wheel lock up, which would stop first...?

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
I think the Fiesta without any tread on the tyres is more likely to spin off into a tree and stop first because of modern electronic aids.

G

·
I'm just curious, take as an example a 1970's Ford Fiesta on brand new tyre's, and a 2010 Fiesta with no tread left at all on a wet road, both going at 50, slap on the brakes, without any wheel lock up, which would stop first...?
Well the old fiesta, on better tyres, also weighs a lot less than it's modern brethren, so it'll carry less momentum. And if the newer car has no tread at all, in the wet, then all the driver aids in the world won't help it.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Plus skinnier tyres won't aquaplane as much, because thinner tyres cut through the water better.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,950 Posts
hmm, no idea - but an interesting one nonetheless.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
the new one will hit the tree soonest, so that:lol:

·
Registered
294 Posts
The 70's Fiesta, lighter with grip, though it would take a while to hit 50MPH in a 1.0ltr

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, imagine the conditions are perfect, dry and sunny, same situation, the 70's Fiesta is Blue, the modern one Silver (like all modern cars...)

Which will stop first?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
In perfect conditions, I think the modern fiesta would win purely because the brakes are more powerful (disc brakes). I'm not sure if the 70s fiesta had drum brakes or disc brakes, etc...

·
Registered
7,087 Posts
In perfect conditions, I think the modern fiesta would win purely because the brakes are more powerful (disc brakes). I'm not sure if the 70s fiesta had drum brakes or disc brakes, etc...
Disc brakes aren't necessarily more powerful; in any case, Fiestas have always had disc front brakes.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
In the dry the new one will stop faster.

Bald tyres are better in the dry, plus they are wider.

Then there are the bigger discs, ABS and electronic brake force distribution etc.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Assuming perfect conditions and good driver ability, the old one with stop first. Lack of weight and surplus of grip. All the driver aids in the world wont compensate for that extra 2800 tons of 'safety' kit that modern cars have :)

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,950 Posts
ABS won't make such a big difference in the wet, if the tyres have no tread on them.
sadly i can't find it on YouTube, but i'm sure 5th Gear did a test using a Granada with ABS on brand new tyres, compare to the same Granada with ABS on legal limit tyres; the latter performed shockingly badly compared to the former in a straight line emergency stop.

G

·
sadly i can't find it on YouTube, but i'm sure 5th Gear did a test using a Granada with ABS on brand new tyres, compare to the same Granada with ABS on legal limit tyres; the latter performed shockingly badly compared to the former in a straight line emergency stop.
Thats what I mean, the ABS is not such an important factor as the level of tread.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
exactly, in slippy conditions, a car with abs, will take longer to stop. if its dry abs wins:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts