Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered how long peoples tyres are lasting on lowered cars.
I dropped mine 35mm using Eibachs about 4-5000 miles ago and the -ve camber has caused my tyres to go bald on the inside all round. The tyres weren't brand new when i fitted the springs, and wanted to know what kind of mileage i can expect from a new set.This will vary depending on type and quality, but what kind of average are you guys getting :confused:

W

·
0 Posts
Don't think it made any difference to mine..not that I've noticed anyway!

Your wishbones aren't stuffed are they....or tracking?

wrinx

B

·
0 Posts
When I had Eibachs on the V6, I had the camber checked and apparently it was OK ( not -ve).

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trackings fine, but i am getting a bit of "wander" on the front end so maybe the 'bones need replacing there, but that wouldn't affect the rears.
The camber is quite noticeable looking from the front and rear. could be partly to do with the cheap tyres i'm running,but -ve camber is always going to cause some amount of scrub. hopefully putting some 17's on next mth so i'll see how it is then.

W

·
0 Posts
Oops, didn't see the "all round" bit...sounds like the rear bushes have gone too :(

Rear tyres should last a lifetime...unless you're sliding it round corners that is :D

wrinx

·
Registered
20,969 Posts
Ever since mine was lowered I've had a slight bother with the steering
at low speed...even though the tracking is (apparantly) spot on
(Cheap front tyres too...nanks...after the Yokes wore out) :rolleyes:

...and there's been some rather alarming wear on the outsides of the
fronts...(like Wrinx says...Could be due to high/low tyre pressure)...but
I think there MAY be some rubbing (DON'T LAUGH)...

...problem with lowered suspo is it's difficult to figure the tracking :rolleyes: :)

(oh bugger...I MEANT rubbing on the INSIDES of the front tyres) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wrinx said:
Another thought...what pressures do you run, and what size tyres?

wrinx
I'm running 30 psi up front and 28 at the rear on 205/50/15,
only cheapo tyres though and as Quinn says (can't believe i'm saying this on a matter that involves Techy stuff sort of, only j/k Quinn ;) )
The Geometry does get messed up somewhat.i'm not overly concerned
about that though to be honest though,and it does give a mean looking stance especially looking from the front :cool:

B

·
0 Posts
Tyre pressures sound low to me standard V6 pressures are 2.5bar (37psi)front and 2.3bar (34psi) rear.

M

·
0 Posts
My tyre wear seems normal and even. I changed the whole suspension and wishys about 5 months ago and have done about 9000 miles since. My fronts will be needing changed in the next few months I think. So far I've had 18000 out of the Avon ZV1's on the front. The Toyos on the rear have done about 24000, but as Wrinx says, the rears last forever anyway.

·
Registered
20,969 Posts
marlon said:
The Toyos on the rear have done about 24000, but as Wrinx says, the rears last forever anyway.
Yup...I havn't had to worry about the rear two since I bought the 155
(and they were part worn then) :)

...ALSO...that's quite a coincindence Wrinx...I run mine at virtually the
SAME pressures...I did lower them a while back (after something MT said)
but found it too lumpy (especially with such wide tyres) :eek:
(Decent grip...BUT I felt every bump in the road...mind u...I do anyway)

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I had you probs a while back Tony :rolleyes: but after changing the rear axle bearings and both front wishy`s and both track rod ends as they were worn to buggery it`s all sorted now :D :D :D

Just having probs setting the tracking up and keeping the steering wheel straight :rolleyes: as its lowered and the gauges wont take a reading and i`ve had to resort back to an old and ancient but trustworty Tracking board that you drive over to get a reading :rolleyes: :D :D

But am getting there tyres are wearing sumat like just needs a slight adjustment to get the steering wheel straight again(i hate having an off set steering wheel :mad:)

Btw i`ve got Uniroyal rainsports on and they grip well wet or dry :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
All though I have no proof I think the front tyres I repalced a couple of months ago were the original rear tyres (pirelli P700) with 75000 on them
It now has Toyo's on the rear which should last at least 4000,000,000 miles :)

san

D

·
0 Posts
speed freak said:
Just having probs setting the tracking up and keeping the steering wheel straight :rolleyes: as its lowered and the gauges wont take a reading and i`ve had to resort back to an old and ancient but trustworty Tracking board that you drive over to get a reading :rolleyes: :D :D
In my area we have a place that use's a tracking system that doesn't use light beams etc., etc. it all works off sensors attached to each wheel, it does the lot tracking, camber, castor and thrust angles. The guy even puts weight in the car if required, I used it several times on my 75 and it sorted all my tyre wear problems. :cool: :cool: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
What's that doofer called? I want my tracking looked at - it ain't ever been right and eats my fronts.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Daiblacks right theres more than one way to set tracking, its also down to the skill of the operator. I had mine checked after fitting -35 Eibachs and new tyres (running 225/40/16 at 40psi front 36psi rear) now after about 10k miles the fronts are needing replacement but the wear is even all over the tread and the rears have at least 5k miles left in them, they are Avon Rainsport which seems to be a good all round tyre.

Phil

D

·
0 Posts
While at a trade show recently I saw an excelent demonstration of one of these systems by a company called Pro-Align who supply the equipment to the garages perhaps they will let you know of any places that have their equipment. :D :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
I noticed increased wear on the insides after fitting Eibachs on my super.

I have fitted new wishbones since and now things seem better.

Not sure how but my rear tyres don't seem to last much longer than the fronts. In fact the first set that came on the car when I bought it (and they were all brand new) wore out before the fronts. I guess the rears were fairly soft as they did give tremedous grip, but they were a different brand to the fronts.
I run my tyres at 35front, 32 rear

1 - 19 of 19 Posts