Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, an owners club newbie hear so be gentle!

Just taken ownership of a 147ti which is about 3 years old with 23k miles on the clock. The car seems absolutely fine but the only concern I have is a grumble/rumble between around 20 and 25mph. The tyres are 17" with around 4-5mm on the fronts and 2-3mm on the rears. I wondered if anyone could provide some advice. Would tyre noise only occur at these sort of speeds because it seems to disappear at lower and higher speeds? Or could this be a bearing problem?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You could check to make sure the alloys are not buckled. the wheels from alfa are not the strongest in the world and on my gt 17"s 2 of them have a slight buckle ( discovered when new tyres fitted and balanced) this does cause some noise.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi there
My 156 with 17" multispokes are horrendous for making that rumble sound. its had new wheel bearings fitted and tyres. yes its around 20mph braking for junctions. seems better tho when tyres are warmer. ive put it down to the tyres as a bearing would get increasingly worse at higher speed. and a buckled wheel would cause vibration and steering wheel wobble. Have you checked your tyre presures as this can proove quite critical? Regards Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked the tyre pressures and they seem ok and the wear is fairly even. Hopefully its just that they are getting a bit old and low on tread. Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts