Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have noticed that when I reverse out of my driveway and turn, my Veloce makes a rather obvious tyre rubbing/vibrating feeling which is audible and can be heard/felt within the car. Not even full lock is required for it to act this way.

I am turning the car whilst either crawling out of the driveway, turning in the close or turning into a sharp bend (only noticeable if going fairly slowly for the noise).

Is this normal and what is it please?

Brand new car with 250 miles driven so fsr.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Reactions: VELOCE280HP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

I have noticed that when I reverse out of my driveway and turn, my Veloce makes a rather obvious tyre rubbing/vibrating feeling which is audible and can be heard/felt within the car. Not even full lock is required for it to act this way.

I am turning the car whilst either crawling out of the driveway, turning in the close or turning into a sharp bend (only noticeable if going fairly slowly for the noise).

Is this normal and what is it please?

Brand new car with 250 miles driven so fsr.
It's normal, the "Andy Bowden" link explains it in detail. I had the same question after 300 miles. You get used to it, just like you'll get used to the fabulous handling of your new car. It's a small price to pay.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Don't worry, as others said it's normal. It's a lot more pronounced in cold temps though if you're running summer tyres. Switch to winters and it all but disappears, due to the compound make up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
Don't worry, as others said it's normal. It's a lot more pronounced in cold temps though if you're running summer tyres. Switch to winters and it all but disappears, due to the compound make up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Advice the Dealer gave me was to avoid full lock. You can still turn pretty tightly, but it's the last little bit of lock that causes the problem. It's good practice to avoid the last bit of lock anyway, if you make a habit of it, you can stall the motor and burn out the electric power steering gubbins.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Advice the Dealer gave me was to avoid full lock. You can still turn pretty tightly, but it's the last little bit of lock that causes the problem. It's good practice to avoid the last bit of lock anyway, if you make a habit of it, you can stall the motor and burn out the electric power steering gubbins.
I agree that avoiding full lock is good practice, but I really don't think there's any risk of burning out the power steering.

Also in some conditions on a Quadrifoglio with Corsas, the skipping effect is noticeable at well under full lock.

Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts