Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed that my rear tyres are down to about 3/4mm and the fronts are obviously a bit newer with around 6mm of tread left

What should i be doing in terms of tyre rotation and how often?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wouldn't bother rotating tyres; just let them go down and replace them when they need doing, either 2 at a time, or if you want to bargain for a discount buy all 4 but get 2 fitted at a later date (my local garage did this for me free of charge)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
For a Q4 you should be trying to keep the wear as even front-to-back as possible. If you have more tread on the front compared to the rear, then the torsen centre diff will be constantly 'rotating', as the front diameter will be ever so slightly higher than the rear diameter

That being said, I'd keep things as they are for you. I've just taken my 'summer' tyres off (Bridgestone RE050s - fitted by the previous owner - (insert rant about load rating index here :rolleyes:) and fitted my winter tyres. AFAIK all four tyres were replaced by the previous owner soon before I bought it. After 8000 miles, the fronts are down on the rears by about 1mm to 1.5 mm, so I'll be rotating them to the rear when I put them back on.

The lesson is that even with the rear drive bias of the Q4, the fronts are wearing slightly faster. Presumably this is weight + understeer as the wear mechanism. So as you are, things are the right way around and will even out for you with more miles. (although I'd consider winter tyres if you are planning to keep the car for a few years) :thumbs:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never really seen winter tyres as being worth it Matt. If anything i'll get some winter alloys to protect the nice 19" Ti alloys for the summer

Cheers for the help :)

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Thats interesting aboout trying to keep all 4 tyres the same tread depth on a 4x4.
I was told and had it backed up by the garage that replaced 2 of mine, that on a Freelander you should always have either all 4 replaced at the same time or when replacing just 2 put the new ones on the rear, again due to diff wind-up. The fronts on a freelander wear quicker.

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
A 4WD car will always understeer a lot so the fronts will wear quicker. Imagine a front wheel drive going round a corner then add in rear wheels wanting to push the car straight on.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So should the tyres with more tread go on the rears for now or stay on the front? Ideally i'd want to replace all 4 at the same time

N

·
0 Posts
All AWD cars should have their tyres rotated to ensure even wear and
to mitigate chassis wind-up.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All AWD cars should have their tyres rotated to ensure even wear and
to mitigate chassis wind-up.
This is what i thought i read somewhere, hense the question

So should it be fronts onto the back, sides swapped? And how often?

N

·
0 Posts
You can only change front to back on the same side due to tread patterns.

I'd do it once a year if it were mine.

You could also put the spare in the mix if you have a full-sized one, but you'd have to change
more frequently. (Every 4-6 months?)

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
I always rotate my tyres front - rear.
I like to keep matched sets, so I rotate so all four wear out at the same time and are then replaced as a full set.

On a FWD I rotate when the fronts are half worn.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm no expert, but I don't believe the rolling circumference is as critical on a Torsen-C / Quattro car (including Q4) as it is on a Haldex system (like Freelander).

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro_(four_wheel_drive_system)
"Another important disadvantage of the Haldex system is the requirement for all four tyres to be of identical wear levels (and rolling radii), due to the Haldex requiring data from all four road wheel speed sensors."

From the Alfa 159 user manual, pg 257:
"On cars fitted with four-wheel drive, all four tyres should be the same (brand and track) to prevent damaging the 4-WD system. The efficiency of the 4-WD system however, is not jeopardized if tyres with different wear conditions are fitted."

Ian A.

PS. From experience, tyre rotation is the last of your many worries on a Mk1 Freelander!

N

·
0 Posts
Tyre fitters here now insist that new rubber goes on the back and old
rubber moves to the front.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
These problems are nothing like the Jeep issue. If you replace one punctured tyre on them the 'Auto' 4wd system senses a 'slipping wheel' and locks the diff. Not very many miles later it all explodes.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
These problems are nothing like the Jeep issue. If you replace one punctured tyre on them the 'Auto' 4wd system senses a 'slipping wheel' and locks the diff. Not very many miles later it all explodes.
Yikes! If nothing else, rotating the tyres gives you a really good look at the tread, and means you can spot issues, such as uneven wear. In my case I discovered that the right front tracking is out, so I'll need an alignment sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've just swapped my fronts to rear, but mainly because I was getting excessive wear on the inner edges of the front tyres. I got the tracking sorted out too, so hopefully the "new" ones on the front won't wear the same way.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have had much the same experience as most of you above.

Fronts wear out quicker than rears despite the rear wheel bias on Q4, presumably due to weight on front axle.

Despite having 4 wheel tracking done, the inner edge on the fronts still wear as per Alfa 159. I was told that the main problem with mine was the incorrect camber, IIRC?

Fronts to backs and visa versa on the same side to equalise "normal" wear and also to get more life out of the tyres due to the inner edge issue.

After doing 8000 miles in my ownership, and I believe the tyres were fairly new when I purchased the car, average depth left is 5mm and now all four tyres have a slight 1cm or so bald patch on inner edge.

So for the above reasons I do rotate the tyres, and I did think that it was a good idea due to the diff wind up, but maybe according to the above information it's not that important?

K

·
0 Posts
You can only change front to back on the same side due to tread patterns.
only true if you have directional tyres.

nothing to stop side to side movement on most tyres, more are now asymmetrical rather than directional so can be move side to side no problem ;)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just been looking at exactly the same issue (got a Brera Q4 and a Jeep). Loads of contradictory advice out there. The Jeep and Volvo forums say to put new tyres on the front, move the part-worns to the back for road use, but to put the new ones on the back if you do a lot of off-road. Don't do much offroading in the Brera and my wife does even less in the Jeep- so I'll be trying the new ones on the front on both cars.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts