Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst browsing for tests on various tyres suggested by owners on here I found this site. I don't know if it's been posted or discussed before but there are some surprising and not so surprising results to be found. I found as I suspected that the Chinese Sunew tyres I have on the GTV are pretty poorly rated (hence why I'm getting rid, fed up of tip toeing round bends).
At least one of the budget brands Matador have one of the highest ratings of all. I'm now thinking that I might not spend £100 a corner after all.

Tyres by Brand | the online tyre guide

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why did you put something called Sunew (Sinew?) on it? :D

Ralf S.
I didn't put the Sunew tyres on. They were on it and brand new when I bought the car. At first they were OK so I left them on but they are lethal now that the weather has cooled down. I still don't know what to buy the reviews have confused me even more.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Just pick one of the premium brands pay your money and take your chance. Black circles do a great range and prices of premium tyres are good.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I decided on Pirelli P6000 at £292 a set till I read the review, which is patchy to say the least. £400 is my budget.

·
Registered
37,737 Posts
I decided on Pirelli P6000 at £292 a set till I read the review, which is patchy to say the least. £400 is my budget.
P6000's are the most expensive ditchfinders you will ever buy.

I had them on one car I owned and they were scary in the wet. I am not kidding, Nankang NS2's are far better.

P6000's were probably ok in 1995 when they came out, but tyre technology has moved on a lot since then.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks symon. In view of the limited mileage I do in the GTV I can at least ignore the wear factor and go for grip (hopefully).

·
Registered
37,737 Posts
For £400 you should get a set of decent boots.

How much are Uniroyal Rainsport 2's in your size?

They are a much better tyre than the price suggests.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For £400 you should get a set of decent boots.

How much are Uniroyal Rainsport 2's in your size?

They are a much better tyre than the price suggests.
Uni are on my list. In W rated they are £88, Y rated £102. I looked at Bridgestone S001 as well at £96. The Bridgestone range is a bit complex so I'm still looking. I've found I get a friend of mine to fit them for a free so I can use any of the on line sites. I don't want to make a mistake either, these tyres have got to last for a few years.

·
Registered
37,737 Posts
Most Bridgestones are pretty good, but they do make the odd model which isn't so hot.

Conti's tend to be really good, but are more expensive.

How much are the Falken FK-452 in your size? Although they tend to wear relatively fast.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Good review site, thanks.

Next time I will have the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s, which are £100 a corner from Camskill. I currently have the originals, and they're good, but those reviews are excellent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts