Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks back the better half asked me to look at the tyres on the family mobile 500X as a warning came up on the dash the day before, this was just as she was about to go do the shopping, low and behold I found one flat, not sure how she got home the day before but I can only imagine the offending hole maker wedged itself in tight. At first I thought it was a bolt, but turned out to be one of those canisters the kids get high on these days. So I called my trusty mobile tyre fitter Oleg who had a look and said it looked bad but he would try and patch it, he did quite a good job and said because it's a continental they use good rubber and he thinks it will hold up. A month down the line and one 150 mile round motorway trip and it's still fine.

The question is do I leave it or just change it anyway for safety's sake, I haven't done so far as the mrs does short trips to work. The tyres are 3 years old and done 29k but have plenty of tread left .What would you great folk of AO do.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
1. I think you've had your money's worth at 29 000 miles.
2. That's a big hole to repair, Oleg did well to seal that and got you out of trouble (temporarily).
3. You say it's a family car so I presume more go in the car than just you and your wife.
I'd get it changed, you know it makes sense.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Replace the tyre. That looks big enough to cause a blow out if you are unlucky enough to drive over the patch with debris/stones

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought as much, question 2, change both rears so they match im thinking yes to that too

·
Registered
14,918 Posts
I have, in the past, happily driven round on remoulds, part-worns and all manner of ditchfinders. That would make me a bit nervous.

Reactions: symon

·
Registered
37,896 Posts
The tyre fitter should never have repaired that IMO.

I don't think any repair would be safe on a hole that large.

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be fair it was during the lock down on a Sunday morning and he didn't even charge me, I'll get it changed, but it hasn't leaked any air....yet

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
I thought as much, question 2, change both rears so they match im thinking yes to that too
I would replace both rears. When it comes to tyres, brakes and steering (includes suspension) there ought not be any compromise.
As many will know on this forum I used to be a head of physics and we used to look at the forces and accelerations in the context of vehicular safety. When the numbers are looked at they are quite amazing. Hence (there's a good physics word) my statement above.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
To be fair it was during the lock down on a Sunday morning and he didn't even charge me, I'll get it changed, but it hasn't leaked any air....yet
But if it does let go it could be a blow out. Many years ago, on the A21 and on a two lane part, an oncoming skip lorry had a front wheel tyre blow out causing it to swerve over to my side of the road, fortunately for me I was on the BM and could take rapid and effective avoiding action. Pretty scarey!

·
Administrator
45,675 Posts
1. I think you've had your money's worth at 29 000 miles.
2. That's a big hole to repair, Oleg did well to seal that and got you out of trouble (temporarily).
3. You say it's a family car so I presume more go in the car than just you and your wife.
I'd get it changed, you know it makes sense.
Agree with every part of that. The hole must have been massive!

It's also fairly close to the shoulder. I'd definitely be replacing.

And I would also go for replacing both tyres on the axle - had to make the same decision myself after a pothole ripped a sidewall last year. Similarly, tyres were only about half worn.

Reactions: duemila

·
Registered
140 Posts
Change!! I've seen things like that repaired with a rubber "mushroom". It's stuck in then the excess is trimmed off.

I too drove around with all sorts of dodgy repairs and tyres in my younger days but it's brand new and the best these days...

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oleg is coming round tomorrow with a nice set of replacement Continentals, I'll take some pictures of the repair, looked to me like a big round rubber plaster and he didn't trim any off, to be fair it was a good get out of trouble repair and tyre prices were silly a month ago, but now we will do more miles I know it makes sense,

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I think you made the right decision. It got you out of a hole but there's a fair amount of deformation on that tyre. I'm all for fixing a nail/screw puncture (currently have one repaired on my car) but I'd draw the line there.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
I think you made the right decision. It got you out of a hole but there's a fair amount of deformation on that tyre. I'm all for fixing a nail/screw puncture (currently have one repaired on my car) but I'd draw the line there.
Pun intended?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts