Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tyres would people recommend for my gtv....bearing in mind that most of my driving is done in london with the odd bit of motorway work so wear rate rather than ultimate grip is what I'm looking for. 225/45 17 size.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So many options.

Anything used by a manufacturer as an OEM tyre in that size will be fine. I wouldn't consider anything in the cheap range at all - a V6 GTV is marginal on traction at the best of times and on a cheap tyre in the wet is really not fun.

I recently got 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 on mine for £90 each - the size is so common that even name brand tyres aren't expensive.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Another recommendation for GY Asymetric 3s.

The set I have on the front of the car at them moment have lasted significantly longer than the Toyo Proxes T1Rs I had before and the performance in the wet is a lot better.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am also running General Altimax Sport on the front of my TS Spider and very happy.

They replaced a pair of cheap crap Autogrip Ditch Finders. They always made me feel very nervous when driving in anything less than 100% dry conditions.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the recommendations the goodyears look like a good option..... now I've got to see if I can afford to refurbish the wheels at the same time as well.☺

·
Super Moderator
23,001 Posts
I buy mid range stuff with no known brand name. I pay maybe £80 a tyre rather than up to £200.

I put these on my V6 Spider and have always driven "con brio" with no problems in wet or dry.

I really think we can be too precious given that 99.9% of the time we drive like nuns.

Think about it - even if on the odd occasion you decide to floor it around a corner you'll do it in the dry and most tyres will react the same. Even if they don't then you can can demonstrate your superior driving skill recognising the marginal lack of grip.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Right up to the point someone pulls out in front of you on a wet road. Then that extra 3 feet decent tyres buy you is well worth it and you will thank them as you stop 6" from their drivers door.

Seriously £10 a corner extra isn't that much to pay for the extra security.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Right up to the point someone pulls out in front of you on a wet road. Then that extra 3 feet decent tyres buy you is well worth it and you will thank them as you stop 6" from their drivers door.

Seriously £10 a corner extra isn't that much to pay for the extra security.
totally agree.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So many options.

Anything used by a manufacturer as an OEM tyre in that size will be fine. I wouldn't consider anything in the cheap range at all - a V6 GTV is marginal on traction at the best of times and on a cheap tyre in the wet is really not fun.

I recently got 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 on mine for £90 each - the size is so common that even name brand tyres aren't expensive.

They are at £82.26 from Blackcircles at the moment, so very good value.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Good tyres are good tyres.
Cheap or mid range are just that. It is a compromise.
That 6" extra stopping might just be the difference. Is it worth taking the risk?
This plus +1 on the Goodyear's. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 are a bit better but are they worth it in London.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Qwik Fit do 225/45/17 Goodyear’s for £80 each but you have to book online and they order them in so it takes a day or two even if they have them in stock. You pay extra to get them off the shelf.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Good tyres are good tyres.
Cheap or mid range are just that. It is a compromise.
That 6" extra stopping might just be the difference. Is it worth taking the risk?
Ummm think you will see i was agreeing with the post about NOT fitting budget tyres. Im not the person who suggested it Mac.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Just had a set of Falken FK510s fitted to my v6, in exactly that size. Hardly driven it yet, but also had the FK510s on my Subaru Impreza and put simply, they are a premium tyre at a respectable price (65 pounds each).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can anybodyou tell me the difference between the normal and XL tyre's and which ones do I need. ..only a couple of quid difference so cost is not a concern.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts