Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, has anybody got any tyres they recommend for their 147 for under £80? I'm about to buy the Toyo Proxes T1R but before buying was wondering if you guys think there are any other better options.

Also, has anybody got any experience with buying part worn tyres ? Would you recommend this ?

·
Registered
33,751 Posts
I had Toyo proxes on my Delta HPE years ago and they were pretty good, but a bit softer than some brands so you have to make sure your alignment etc is good .
I'd recommend them.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Part worn is probably not a good idea as you don't know what else may be wrong with them ... they could be damaged inside due to an accident ... many years ago when I was a cash-strapped teenager with my first car I bought some part worns ... hit a dip in the road surface and one blew out at just over 60mph ... luckily a rear but never again.

You don't say what size you are after? Have you tried BlackCircles and mytyres?

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Part worn is probably not a good idea as you don't know what else may be wrong with them ... they could be damaged inside due to an accident ... many years ago when I was a cash-strapped teenager with my first car I bought some part worns ... hit a dip in the road surface and one blew out at just over 60mph ... luckily a rear but never again.

You don't say what size you are after? Have you tried BlackCircles and mytyres?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I've replaced a full set of Dunlop Sportmaxx with Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39 and have been really impressed. Much quieter, better mpg and seem to hold the road a bit better. If you shop at Tescos then Blackcircles offer double points on them. That is not why I got them though!

·
Registered
37,526 Posts
Camskill are currently selling the new Uniroyal Rainsport 3's at £50.50 each in 205/55R16 Y

So if that is your size they look like a bargain even if you factor in getting them fitted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have Uniroyal Rain thingies on another motor and really don't like them. Loud, very low threshold in the dry and, considering their name, they're rubbish at cutting through water. Maybe they just don't suit the car but they are awful. Getting shot of them soon for some Conti's, hopefully very soon.

·
Registered
37,526 Posts
Those are very likely to be either the Rainsport 1 or Rainsport 2.

The Rainsport 2 is a 10 year old design, the rainsport 1 even older.

They Rainsport 3 is likely to be much better as tyre technology has moved on quickly in the last few years.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi guys, has anybody got any tyres they recommend for their 147 for under £80?
In 215/45/17 which you'll need as yours is a Ti isn't it? You'd be doing well at £80/corner.
I'm about to buy the Toyo Proxes T1R but before buying was wondering if you guys think there are any other better options.
There are always options but the Toyo tyres are OK if a bit short on life IMHO. I'm running Fulda Sport Control on the front and Fulda Carat Exelero on the back (long story) and they're both pretty good to be honest - nearer £92/corner fitted though.
Also, has anybody got any experience with buying part worn tyres ? Would you recommend this ?
Yes (a long time ago) and no, I wouldn't do it again through choice.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
I put a pair of Bridgestone Toranzas on the 147 and they have been very good so far.
Found them very noisy on our MiTo ... came as standard.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I'm using Nankang NS2 Sports. Summer tyre mind.
Mixed reviews from people however I've found them very good and fine in the dry. Although some people say they are ditch finders.

I've found them very predictable and with decent feedback even in the wet . But then again I do mostly town driving with the rare motorway blast. But I drive pretty hard and thus have done 7'000 miels so far and they look like they are half way through their life.

However as the seasons are turning it would be better to get some winter tyres.

In anycase I bought mine from Camskill online. Had them fitted local. All four for £230 inc fitting.
Of the Website they were asmidge under £190 and it was a tenner each wheel fitted locally.

Those are in the same size as yours

215x45x17

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the suggestions! I've set a strict budget of £80 or less. I do like the look of the Kumho tyres as mentioned above^ they have good reviews and supposed to be excellent in dry and wet weather. I had the toyo's on an old vauxhall corsa I had a while ago and they seemed good on that, so it's a toss up between the two! Have to make a decision tonight aswell...

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Pud, I'll take a look at them now, and for the Toyo's I have seen them for £300 for all 4 on eBay. Good value ?

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
£300 for 4 is a good price. I think I would probably go for the Hankooks if I had to choose though, as much as I rate the T1Rs they are getting on a bit now, and they do have a tendency to go out of shape on the rear axle of 147s especially in 215/45/17 size.

If you were asking about 16" wheels I would suggest the Toyos all day long.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
£300 for 4 is a good price. I think I would probably go for the Hankooks if I had to choose though, as much as I rate the T1Rs they are getting on a bit now, and they do have a tendency to go out of shape on the rear axle of 147s especially in 215/45/17 size.

If you were asking about 16" wheels I would suggest the Toyos all day long.

I'm mainly going on the stats on the websites, it says the Kumho have A rated wet grip and they do have a lot of good reviews. The Hankooks only have C graded wet grip, or are these stats actually not all that accurate ?

·
Registered
37,526 Posts
I woukdn't take too much notice of the ratings printed on the tyres. They are rated by the manufacturers to a set of guidelines, but I am sure there is some room for interpretation there.

This site has some good user reviews, as well as some proper tests on some tyres.

Tyres by Brand | the online tyre guide

I have mixed feelings about the Toyo T1R, I have had them on a FWD Alfa and they were really good. I also had them on my RWD Nissan 200SX and they were awful. So I guess that they are quite car sensitive.

Personally I quite like Falkens for Value V's performance although I haven't tried their latest range.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts