Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the driver side wheel loses air like a slow puncture only problem is it has been going on for 4 years, 3 new tyres and even 3 different rims one time i even swapped the passenger side to the driver side and the same thing "slow puncture" on the driver and the "problem wheel" was fine on the passenger side
thinking of re-airing them with nitrogen hoping it will help?

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
If it's doing the same thing regardless of tyre or rim, the only things left are the valve as Aramis said, or you simply keep getting a slow puncture in that tyre over and over again.

Or a ghost.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
There is either a hairline crack in the rim or there is some corrosion/gunk on the bead area stopping the tyre from sealing properly.

Easiest is to sand (polish) the bead sealing surface with some fine water paper - say 1000 grit.

If that doesn't work you may need to get some dye pen (dye penetrant spray) and check for cracks. Dye pen is an NDT (non-destructive testing) method used extensively in industry. Its cheap and doesn't need a rocket scientist. Basically its two tins of spray. First you use the pink/red one, this has very small particles that penetrate a crack and collect there. Then you spray the white over the top. If there are any cracks which have collected the red colour, it makes a red stain through the white top layer.

Its not like serious paint and comes off easy.

Alternatively some wheel repair shops are set up to RT wheels. RT = Radiographic Testing = X Ray.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks funny that it stops when i change that wheel to the passenger side then the "new" wheel starts leaking again on the driver side hahahah must be a ghost

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Once again - have you confirmed that a shared element to all the leaky tires/wheels might not be the valve?

If the same valve is used on the driver's side every time, it's surely the problem.

Or what it also possibly could be is if you park in some strange position often, with the drivers side wheel taking a lot of pressure while parked. This could cause the tyre in that position to leak.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I'd venture that someone is tampering with your wheel, if all other conditions remain the same. I can't imagine that you would swap tyres AND then swap the valves, so in my mind it must be tampering.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
I'd venture that someone is tampering with your wheel...
Sounds likely.

Try parking the other way round and see which tyre looses pressure. :devious:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts