Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a 156 2.0 TS with 17" alfa wheels on (7 " not 7.5") - and they have 225/45/17 GoodYear Eagle F1 tyres on - what pressures should i have in these , also the car is running a Koni sports kit which is slightly lower than what it was as a SP2 car - what should the front and rear track be set as - any help wouls be great - thanks Ant :)

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
tyre presssure and toe is a personal choice, there is no "best" setting for everyone. when fitting non-standard tyres you cant rely on the standard tyre pressure recommendations.

if you do high speeds with a full car then you should go for 35psi, if you do a lot of hard cornering (especially in the wet) and crazy B road racing then 28psi would be better. for most people 30-33psi would be a good balance.

front toe should be -2 degrees as standard. this is good for handling, especially on fast corners where understeer becomes an issue on any fwd car. correcting the toe to 0degrees (like most cars) will reduce tyre wear, but the car wont cut in as well on corners and understeer will occur at a lower speed. if you prefer handling to tyre life then stikc to -2 degrees. on a car that has been lowered you may find the front tyres wear on the inside even sooner because the extra drop in ride height affects the camber. you can compensate for this by correcting the toe to 0 degrees, or you can leave it and enjoy track style handling and tyre wear rates.

rear toe is not adjustable so you cant do anything about the change in camber when lowering, but the lack of weight at the back means this isnt really a problem and tyre wear rate isnt greatly affected, although the wear focus does shift to the outer edge.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
32 PSI front and rear standard
36 PSI front and rear laden / motorway

·
Registered
549 Posts
On the 156 GTAs 225/45/17 the recommended pressure is 2.2 to 2.5 bar front and rear, if I remember correctly. That's for an empty (well, a driver...) to a fully loaded car.

As jug says, it's a personal preference and also relates to any suspension mods. But Those ar Alfas recommendations FWIW.

DJ
--

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A big thankyou to you all - i will check tyres in morning - think i have them a bit on the low side (25 all around !!! ops ) :cheese:

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diseasel (2011)
26,193 Posts
I keep mine at 2.5 bar front and rear.
And I'm happy with that :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts