Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys
what pressure are you running on the front tyres on the alfa rims ?
i ran them at 35psi but it doesnt feel hard enough and really spongey. it feels better at 38 - is anyone else running it at this pressure or higher ?

ciao

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
i run about 30-32psi (weather or drive dependant) i think 35 is too hard personally, plus my car used to have a good proper drive everytime i used it so i imagine the pressures went up to approx 35-36 when warm
that was when using Michelin PS3's or Conti Sport Contact's

·
Registered
30,087 Posts
VERY bad idea to run below book pressures, which are:
2.5 Bar (36 PSI) Front & 2.3 Bar (33 PSI) Rear for Normal Loads.

2.8 Bar (41 PSI) Front & 2.6 Bar (38 PSI) Rear for Full Loads.

All pressures are when COLD.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I agree u shud only check pressures when they are cold. However i do not agree on running 36 psi. Personal pref i suppose. I have never had an issue with shoulder wear. On long journeys on the motorway i do tend to run at 34-35 psi

·
Registered
30,087 Posts
The pressures in the manual are not just a made up guess.....!!

What makes you think that running under-inflated tyres is the correct thing to do?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
The pressures in the manual are not just a made up guess.....!!

What makes you think that running under-inflated tyres is the correct thing to do?
Hi David, yes i do realise they are not made up figures or a guess.
I have found when i had a set of ps3's on the front that running at factory recommended pressures meant the centre of the tyre was wearing out before the edges(much like an over inflated tyre)
i do tend to drive the car mostly on my own, however when i do take passengers i only really take one, it has been a very rare occurence where i have taken a full car load
This is why i have never run at the heavy loaded pressures.
when i got another set of the same tyres i ran these at a lower pressure ~32psi and i have found they have lasted longer, with the tyre retaining a more even wear.

Obviously when the car is cold you feel the car tyre is very sloppy but as we all know different tyres perform differently to different pressures due to changes in construction e.g. compounds and tread design(although not very significant).
Because of different constructions the tyre will behave differently.

Can i also say that the tyre pressures were set by Alfa on the factory Pirelli tyres so of course they *could* be different.

I am not saying you or anyone else should follow me, just i have found by dropping the pressures for myself has improved tyre performance.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I not trying to upset anyone sorry,
David you have agreed with the pressures i have said above in the past on more than one occasion, Look on Alfa 156.net forum.
If i was to put on the factory fit Pirelli's i would run them at factory suggested pressures unless i found changing them suited the car better. Obviously we should run slightly higher pressures due to the low load index on the tyre but i think i have already answered that from personal experience seen above.

I do remember on quite a few different occasions playing with pressures on race vehicles to help increase the performance of the tyres, but then again this is completely different to road conditions.

·
Registered
30,087 Posts
David you have agreed with the pressures i have said above in the past on more than one occasion, Look on Alfa 156.net forum.
Only if you were talking about a std 156 on 16", they originally used 2.2 Bar (32 PSI) but those pressures were later revised to 2.4 Bar (35 PSI).

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
coolio :) i was un-aware they revised them
on another note it is interesting to see that if you put Alfa 156 GTA into google and ask for tyre pressures it brings up a pressure of 32psi for the fronts, even if you go onto Alfa workshop

·
Registered
30,087 Posts
What's the tyre pressure for 18s 225/18/40. The same as the 17s ?
Nothing official for the 156, but for the GT they spec the same pressure for 225/45R17 and 225/40R18, so I'd say yes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sounds like 36 is the best pressure for the front - i seemed to have found this to the best pressure.
the rears at 35 feel ok.
what tyres are you guys running ?
ive got michellin pilots on the rears and they seem to be harder at 35 than what i have on the front running where i was running 38.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
David C will confirm the correct pressures..... Oh he already has ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts