Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Two types, indirect and errm direct. Indirect basically measure the RPM of the wheel using your ABS sensors. Direct use a valve thingy with a pressure monitor and some RF.

The indirect type get a bit of stick because you have to reset it everytime you inflate a tyre.

My pal has the direct type but when having new tyres the fitter ****ed them up. Cost a few quid in the end. If he'd have paid the higher price for tyres at the main dealer it would have worked out about the same cost but with a lot less hassle.

I would not aftermarket them on a car that did not have them myself.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
I'm a sucker for marketing I'm curious how good the pirelli colour series will be they come with pressure and heat sensors

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I thought those were for high-end cars?
Some form of TPMS is standard on all cars sold in the USA since some time in the early 2000s (or possibly earlier?). Either direct or (mostly) indirect.

What this has done in the US is to indeed reduce the number of times people get a blown out tyre while driving, but it also has caused most Americans to think they only have to ever check their tyre pressure when the yellow light on the dashboard lights up. In fact, it only lights up once the tyre(s) are already far below their proper inflation pressure. So lots of Americans drive around with under-inflated tyres most of the time.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Some form of TPMS is standard on all cars sold in the USA since some time in the early 2000s (or possibly earlier?). Either direct or (mostly) indirect.

What this has done in the US is to indeed reduce the number of times people get a blown out tyre while driving, but it also has caused most Americans to think they only have to ever check their tyre pressure when the yellow light on the dashboard lights up. In fact, it only lights up once the tyre(s) are already far below their proper inflation pressure. So lots of Americans drive around with under-inflated tyres most of the time.
Compulsory in the EU now as well. ESP from about 2014 and auto headlights also seem to be compulsory as well.
(although many vehicles had them all well before 2014)

I agree, the pressure has to drop a good few psi before the warning happens (about 5psi on my Guilietta) but better than no warning.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Is the direct system only linked to the valves?

I ask because I was flirting with changing my Mini wheels to something nicer but was unsure if the direct TPMS system would restrict what sort of wheels I purchased (and the ones direct from Mini are twice the price of after market ones)

I think I can get any sort of wheel but would need the TPMS valves fitted. Are the TPMS valves a different size rim hole for example? (oo-er. I said "rim hole"!)

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Is the direct system only linked to the valves?

I ask because I was flirting with changing my Mini wheels to something nicer but was unsure if the direct TPMS system would restrict what sort of wheels I purchased (and the ones direct from Mini are twice the price of after market ones)

I think I can get any sort of wheel but would need the TPMS valves fitted. Are the TPMS valves a different size rim hole for example? (oo-er. I said "rim hole"!)
You can do it as my pal at work has replaced one after a tyre fitter ****ed his old one.

Each valve has an ID (so your car recognises your valve and not the car next to you). What he did was buy a USB device for the puter (£40) and a valve that can be cloned. He then cloned the faulted valve to the new one.

I can't help much more but if you have any questions I can put them to him. He had a right old time sorting it out.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts

·
Registered
13,685 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Built in ones are great untill you get a tyre replaced and they snap them. They can be fitted without removing tyre, the top bead just needs to be popped and then tyre held down in that place, still requires balancing though. The valves are a standard fit so should fit most alloy wheels.
When replacing tyres, the valve is supposed to be unscrewed from the outside and dropped into the tyre to prevent damage. Then sensor is refitted with new washer after tyre is removed.
We get snapped ones all the time at work thanks to local fast fitters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts