Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was searching threads on tyre pressures for my V6, which led me to read about the effects of under/over inflated tyres.

I ended up buying a Ring digital tyre pressure gauge for about 8 quid. Pretty shockedlast night when I checked my tyres- 27 psi in front and 25 in rears. Assuming the gauge is correct, Im about 10 psi down. Tyres don't look saggy and I'm sure I checked em a couple of months ago, but I'm really hopingthe correct pressures get rid of he wander that I get on some roads.

I'll be trying it at the weekend, It'll be a right result if It means I don't have to replace the barely worn Zero Rosso's.

Christ knows how hard it s gonna make the ride though!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well worth getting a tyre gauge, car is quite a bit more nimble, but it's mainly heavy braking that feels so much more stable. Ride harshness is similar.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
My V6 is in hibernation at the moment but before i put it away i went to add another 5psi in as it will be stood... I thought that the tyres were over inflated anyway due to the ride only to find, like yourself that I was 5psi below the min level to start with! Obvioulsy I havent driven it on the correct pressure yet but hope its not as bad as i fear!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I would compare your gauge with a couple of garage forecourt air pumps before making any radical adjustments, just to confirm the accuracy of the gauge.

I used a faulty gauge on a Ford Capri years ago, which said the tyres were well under inflated. So I inflated them to the 'correct' level. It was great - the car felt nimble and the steering felt light. All was well until a cat ran out in front of me on a bone dry road, in warm sunny conditions. I slammed the brakes on and the car skidded halfway down the street. Fortunately the cat escaped unhurt. I was quite shocked at how dangerous over inflated tyres can be!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts