Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I need to replace my Uniroyal rainsports 2 on the front as they're down to not much tread (interesting journey on the snowy motorway last night to say the least! :paranoid: )

N.b. They are all 215/45 R17 91W, although the rears are not rainsports.

Now the owners manual says the recommended 215/45 R17 87W, but there seems to much more availability of 91 index load rating tyre, and therefore more competitively priced options of these.

My understanding is that a higher rating means stiffer side walls, and therefore a firmer ride?

So is it worth getting 87 load index tyres, taking into account that the rears are 91's (i.e. would then be a mixture)

Also i wonder if having 91's contributes to the bushes wearing out so damn quick!? Another benefit of 87's perhaps?

I also need to take into wear rate as i do mainly motor way miles, so would an 87 Load index tyre necessarily wear out quicker than a 91?

Also can you guys recommend a good all round tyre? I.e. Good in wet conditions/reasonable wear rate etc. I do mainly motorway miles. Some of the reading of been doing seems to recommend the following:
- Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
- Pirelli PIRELLI P ZERO NERO
- Barum Bravuris 3HM
Any of these worth going for or other recommendations?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Also can you guys recommend a good all round tyre? I.e. Good in wet conditions/reasonable wear rate etc. I do mainly motorway miles. Some of the reading of been doing seems to recommend the following:
- Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
- Pirelli PIRELLI P ZERO NERO
- Barum Bravuris 3HM
Any of these worth going for or other recommendations?
Thanks
Can't comment on load rating, other than you're safe going upwards - not so much going the other way...

As for general recommendations, I'm currently using a set of Infinity INF-05's on the front axle and absolutely cannot recommend them... Feel ok for normal pottering about, but roundabouts in the rain can be erm... interesting...

Got a set of Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance tyres (225/40/18) on the rear and much prefer them. A bit of a softer sidewall than the Eagle F1 Asyms, and are purportedly quieter and return better fuel mileage.. Either way I find them much steadier than the Infinities.. I do a lot of motorway miles myself so the reliable Efficientgrips won me over... Got about 20k miles on them now I think, and they're about ready for a rotation as they're just starting to get staggered wear on the inner track - about 5mm tread depth left though so I'll need an alignment too.

Would definitely recommend going for an asymmetric radial tread pattern (Goodyears) over the v-shaped tread (Infinity, Toyo Proxes, etc.).. These cars seems to just prefer radials I reckon..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't comment on load rating, other than you're safe going upwards - not so much going the other way...

As for general recommendations, I'm currently using a set of Infinity INF-05's on the front axle and absolutely cannot recommend them... Feel ok for normal pottering about, but roundabouts in the rain can be erm... interesting...

Got a set of Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance tyres (225/40/18) on the rear and much prefer them. A bit of a softer sidewall than the Eagle F1 Asyms, and are purportedly quieter and return better fuel mileage.. Either way I find them much steadier than the Infinities.. I do a lot of motorway miles myself so the reliable Efficientgrips won me over... Got about 20k miles on them now I think, and they're about ready for a rotation as they're just starting to get staggered wear on the inner track - about 5mm tread depth left though so I'll need an alignment too.

Would definitely recommend going for an asymmetric radial tread pattern (Goodyears) over the v-shaped tread (Infinity, Toyo Proxes, etc.).. These cars seems to just prefer radials I reckon..
Thanks Editor,
I've just found that you can get the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's with an 87 load rating! So in theory the perfect tyre for me?

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
In theory the 91 XL may be a firmer ride than the 87 version.

Personally I'd be tempted to go up to the 225/45R17 used by the 3.2V6.

Often cheaper than the 215/45R17 as they are a more commonly used size, but you'd need all four to be the same size.

Reactions: TOX1C

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I'm not impressed with my Michelins, noisy, lose grip in the wet readily, Contis were great but wore out quickly, Dunlops seem very good, cant remember the name though, will check in the morning.....

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
People seem to like Eagles whatever they're fitted to so they're a good choice :thumbup:

Or if you're looking for something a bit cheaper have a look at the Hancook Ventus V12 Evo - they're even better than Eagles in the wet, but they lose out slightly on cornering to the Eagles and Michelin PS3s in the dry. The wear rate seems to be pretty good, but they do weigh a ton so they'll push your unsprung weight up quite a bit.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies everyone, looks like the GoodYears are the ones to go for.

However I'm still not sure if i should i go for 87 load ratings to replace the front two, or stick to 91's all round?? Is it ok to have different ratings at the front and back? Am i worrying about nothing!? :paranoid:

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Now the owners manual says the recommended 215/45 R17 87W, but there seems to much more availability of 91 index load rating tyre, and therefore more competitively priced options of these.

My understanding is that a higher rating means stiffer side walls, and therefore a firmer ride?

I also need to take into wear rate as i do mainly motor way miles, so would an 87 Load index tyre necessarily wear out quicker than a 91?
In theory the 91 XL may be a firmer ride than the 87 version.
The OP question on load index and if XL will have stiffer sidewall and if that all will influence bush life.
87 load index can handle 1201lb per wheel
91 load index can handle 1356lb per wheel.

Both are over-and-above your carry requirements right? Or do you load heavily from time to time?

XL means extra load - which means that you can inflate the tire higher than OEM spec if you need to load more than usual:
Tire Tech Information - Tire Specs Explained: Maximum Load
"XL" vs. Standard load tires ... what should I do? - Miles of Smiles | Tire Rack

Generally XL tires are firmer, but 91 by itself is not an indication of being stiffer than 87. One tire brand's 87 might be stiffer in sidewall than another brand's 91

Now if a stiffer tire will influence bush life... If you can feel the difference inside the car, then yes your bushes will "feel" the difference too, but I am not convinced that there will be a measurable difference in life span... Poly bushes are much firmer than OEM rubber bushes, yet lasts longer

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the additional replies.

Gertie - Only very rarely do i load up my car with people and/or luggage.

Although now I know I really am overthinking this! :paranoid: Because I just read you shouldn't mix Asymmetric with directional?? Although i think that refers to on the same axle perhaps?
I think i may just buy some ditchfinders and be done with it! :smash:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts