Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read a few posts on here and elsewhere on-line about tyres, decided that I'd post an opinion based on what I've used over the last few years.

I've used Toyo in the past (because of their 3yr warranty they used to have) because I've always been hard on tyres - 12-18mths wasn't unheard of. I've seen some negatives about Avon lacking grip but when I had them on my old Laguna it had bucketloads of grip (even if a puny 97hp engine) compared to whatever other tyres I'd had - my point here is simply that even among tyres the car can make a difference as to their overall performance.

Onto the 156... The previous owner had left me with a set of Wanlis on the rear and he'd replaced the fronts with Pirelli P6000 a few months earlier. They Pirelli set lasted until around March this year (though that was pushing it) although I'd never say they were exactly confidence-building in the grip department. The Wanlis are so hard they still look like the tread is nearly as deep as when I got the car (end of '09) and in the dry aren't too bad. Show them some wet road and it's a question of whether you get very low grip at lower speeds reasonable enough for round town or no grip if you prefer spirited driving. What makes them trickiest is if you then lift off too quickly mid-corner... Suffice to say I'm able to drive reasonable freely in the dry but I'm a lot more cautious in the wet.

The fronts are Dunlop SP FASTRESPONSE (205/55/R16 91W) bought from Hi-Q (owned by Goodyear/Dunlop who are the same if I remember my info correctly) for just under £155 for the pair fitted etc. and a £10 iTunes card) and they've given me much better grip overall and are more progressive. When I get a job, worn or not, the Wanli's are being replaced by another pair of Dunlop SP.... That said, if budget is tight AND you are prepared to drive cautiously in the wet and be spirited rather than lunatic in the dry, the Wanlis will last years... just don't get over-enthusiastic when the surface is even slightly greasy.

As for other makes, I have no idea what they'd be like - I may have opinions that drew me to buying what I did, but I'll keep them to myself!

I realise I've not looked at braking that much, but based the above observations on mostly the cornering ability. If you learn your tyres and leave appropriate distances according to their performance and the car you're following (i.e. when following a rally car on the road, remember they will likely stop more sharply than a normal car!) then you should be ok... (well I have so far)

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
I've just replaced my Dunlop Sportmaxx TTs on the 156 with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's.

The Dunlops were good, but the F1 Asymmetric 2's are another leap forward in every department. Fantastic grip in the wet and dry, awesome handling through the bends, very quiet, just a superb performance tyre.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just changed my front 2 to dunlop sport sp1`s.
They seem ok so far, but they have only been on a week, and they replaced a snow tyre on the o/s and a bridgestone something on the d/s so i guess they will seem better up to now :)

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Useful info .....but isn't it a bit difficult comparing a brand new set of tyres that you've just put on against the ones you've just taken off ....as surely you took em off because the tread was low.

I have toyo proxes on the front of mine and budget ones on the back. I have no idea whether either are good or not but i've never lost any grip and become nervous about them.

·
Registered
396 Posts
its the shame the pirelli p6s are, as you say an average tire... would loved to have them on an italian car..

that said, Michi Pilot Sport 3s adorn my v6 all round... Awesome tire... no noise over 'comfort' tires, but confidence inspiring and plenty of grip...

I was oohing and aaahing over these and the Conti DWs - these two had by far the best reviews.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Useful info .....but isn't it a bit difficult comparing a brand new set of tyres that you've just put on against the ones you've just taken off ....as surely you took em off because the tread was low.

I have toyo proxes on the front of mine and budget ones on the back. I have no idea whether either are good or not but i've never lost any grip and become nervous about them.
I agree, that's partly why I didn't post this straight away... The Pirellis were new on a few months before I got the car so at least a similar age when I bought it to what the Dunlops are now and I probably drive harder on them. The other tyres are what I've bought and as I used to go through them so quickly I tended to have them at their best and worst lol. I usually do a lot of reading round the internet for a variety of opinions (don't rely on just the one) whether it's tyres, phones, etc. I then form my own opinions... Owning said products can confirm or change those opinions...

Perhaps in another 6 months I'll need to revisit my opinion on the Dunlops (and I'm not saying there aren't better tyres around)... I felt they were a good balance of quality and cost at the time. As I said about the Wanli pair, I'm not a big fan, but it depends how you drive and the road conditions, plus I'd also say that car does make a difference and different types and brands may be more or less appropriate for different cars and driving styles. In a way, it's not as straightforward a decision as some like to make out (though that doesn't mean you have to make it as complicated as I did when choosing my current phone - spreadsheet of 20-25 deals with costings breakdown and plan ratings based on texts/minutes/internet and that was after I'd decided on a phone!)

Yup, me a geek! The gf tells me that too

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
choosing my current phone - spreadsheet of 20-25 deals with costings breakdown and plan ratings based on texts/minutes/internet and that was after I'd decided on a phone
a sensible post. apart from this bit. makes you sound very nuts lol.

·
Registered
138 Posts
OK, I'll bite out of pure intrigue. What phone did you get? (phone, not plan)

(My mechanic 'forced' Pirelli P6000's upon me BTW, seem OK, but think I'll try Dunlops next time).

Cheers
TiggerK

·
Registered
71 Posts
For 205/55 R16 (results are different for different sizes!), last month's Which? recommends Continental PremiumContact 2, Uniroyal Rainsport 2 & Michelin Primacy HP in that order.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, I'll bite out of pure intrigue. What phone did you get? (phone, not plan)

(My mechanic 'forced' Pirelli P6000's upon me BTW, seem OK, but think I'll try Dunlops next time).

Cheers
TiggerK
lol I ended up with the HTC 7 Pro (I'd previously had HTC's Tytan and wanted a phone with a physical keyboard as I don't have dainty fingers). I'd decided I liked the upcoming Windows 7 Phone interface (again, the HTC was Windows and I liked the Office feature but the interface left something to be desired... and I was unsure if I'd like the touch-screen style usage having been so used to a stylus). Happy with my choice - I convinced my sister to move from a Nokia to a HTC Windows 7 phone and after a week of getting used to it she's loved it :) But it's probably like tyres... Not everyone likes the same phone partly because of the different uses people have. (oh and the Mango update is definitely a must)

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For 205/55 R16 (results are different for different sizes!), last month's Which? recommends Continental PremiumContact 2, Uniroyal Rainsport 2 & Michelin Primacy HP in that order.
I haven't tried any of them so I can't agree or disagree on those choices, although I wouldn't solely rely on Which? for recommendations ;) But that's 'cause I'm geeky, like to do more extensive research (though I know I'm not always right as a result) and I've disagreed with some of their PC/White Goods recommendations in the past...

Looking at it another way, there are few wholly scientific, objective tests on goods (though obviously some are better than others) and as Alfa owners, I'm sure we understand that feeling can overpower raw data sometimes ;)

Maybe I'll look at those when I get round to replacing this set (and yes, size, like car/setup/driving style can impact on best tyre choice)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I replaced a pair of Goodyear F1 GSD3s with the Uniroyal Rainsport 2s and was quite disappointed - the sidewalls are so soft that the steering feel and response was ruined while they were on the front. Now they're on the rear and they do give a very comfortable ride. Definitely a 'Lusso' tyre rather than a 'Veloce'. Back to the Goodyears for me next time, despite them being very effective immobilisers in snow :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just bought and had delivered some Vredestein Sessanta's for the front of my GT....having them fitted tomorro for £7 a corner!:lol:

Will let you know how I get on.......

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I replaced a pair of Goodyear F1 GSD3s with the Uniroyal Rainsport 2s and was quite disappointed - the sidewalls are so soft that the steering feel and response was ruined while they were on the front. Now they're on the rear and they do give a very comfortable ride. Definitely a 'Lusso' tyre rather than a 'Veloce'. Back to the Goodyears for me next time, despite them being very effective immobilisers in snow :)
if your after 205/55/16 's you be out of luck as good year stopped making them ,i hunted high and low for my last set and looks like ill have go with conti sports next time :(

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have always used Firestone TZ300 till last time when I bought good year efficient grip because the firestone's were not available. Goodyears were rubbish last winter as they were skidding n sliding on a little dusting of snow and got me stuck a few times. I found some new alloys on ebay in march and they came with some Hero Milanza tyres (I have never heard of them before) so I put the good years away and do not think I will be using them again this winter, which means I might have to buy some new ones. The Hero's still have got a lot of tread on them however i am not sure how they will behave in winter. If I do get new tyres then they will be Firestone's.:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts