Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Tyre choice

Tags
choice tyre
2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Mr T 
G
#1 ·
Getting my 156 today.

Comes with Pirelli P6000 185/65/15's, but am thinking of swapping them for Continental EcoContact CP 205/50/15's at my local Advance Pitstop, and paying the price difference (100Euro).

Does anyone know how Continentals compare to Pirelli, when it comes to roadholding and comfort.

Also, I'm concerned about whether I will need to get the tracking done, and of course there's always the risk the muppets in the tyre centre will mark the alloys.

G
#2 ·
Haven't tested Conti, but have tested P6000 (195/55) on my previous car (Fiat Barchetta). They were good on dry conditions, but close to horrible in the wet, both when it came to grip and aquaplaning. Can't recommend those... I'm going for Bridgestone Potenza S-03 this time, supposed to be the ultimate tyre, both in dry and wet conditions... Expensive, but nothing is too good for my baby (the 147 that is, not the corolla...)

Hope that helps you a little in deciding!

#3 ·
I got the Conti eco 205s with telephone dial alloys as part of the sport pack. Find them great. But they are crap aquaplaning. Found this out a few years back with similar Conti ecos 185s on the road to Foynes. (No I'm not from Limerick). Car floated like a majestic yacht. How we laughed lifting it off the ditch on the roadside.

205s are great though in dry and wet generally.

As for the claims on the sidewalls that they reduce petrol usage, I mean, please!

Have to say, I'd expected a nice set of Pirellis to come with the Alfa. Would have looked more the part and they're better for aquaplaning. Other half had them on a Punto sporting, immm nice.

#4 ·
there's always the risk the muppets in the tyre centre will mark the alloys.
Thats the most worrying bit about getting new tyres. Try http://www.tyres-online.co.uk They have test reviews of most makes of tyres. I think all of the reviews for the Continentals are from german mags so true to form, they think their home brands are great. Continentals wouldnt be my first choice. Considering how much it rains in this part of the world, the priority should be a tyres ability in the wet first and foremost.

G
#5 ·
With 15in alloys I assume you're getting the standard telephone dial style. I think these are painted and clear coated like the Selespeed alloys. When I had my tyres changed the tyre shop managed to tear quite a strip of paint off two wheels (both caused by a paint run blob catching on the tyre lever so not necessarily the tyre shops fault). The tyre shop paid to have both alloys repainted and clear coated.

My advice is to check all your alloys before the tyre shop gets the car. Take note of any paint runs in the paint and mention them to the tyre shop so they can take extra care.

Cheers
Mike

G
#6 ·
Mike, for some reason the alloys aren't the standard telephone dial ones. But the ones with the smaller circles. I wonder are these 6.5" or 6". 6.5" needed for 205 I think.

Anyway, I watched the tyre guys change alloys and didn't like the way they handled them. So I'm just gonna wait until the Pirelli's get worn and then find a better tyre place for the 205's when the time comes. (Assuming 205's will go on).

#7 ·
I changed my Michelin 185/65 15's for Pirelli 205/60 15's P7s after some ungrateful twit took a knife to one of them. I was shocked at the price of the 185 because it is an unusual size of tire.

The Michelin's were harder wearing but the Pirelli's give me far more grip although that is mostly down to me using 205 now.

Am I right in saying that you are going to put 205/50/15's on as I think this will effect your rolling radius quite a bit. Alfa say 205/60 15's on the 6.5J rims, charts recomend 205/55 15's or 205/60 15's to replace the 185/65 15's.

Mr T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.