Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Does anybody have any views/experience/expertise on tyres

Before buying my '56' plate 1.9 JTD GT last December I read around and spoke to a few people who said that the GT suffers a little from suspension noises. Nearly all recommended Bridgestones has being the best for the GT.

I need two tyres now and find that Bridgestone Potenza and Turanza are suggested by the Bridestone web site. The Potenza is usually fitted and is called 'sport touring' while the Turanza is called 'comfort touring' . The Potenza blurb says 'high levels of response,control and low noise'. The Turanza is described as being ' outstanding straight line stability and silky smooth and extremely quiet'

Both are the same price.

My point is that yes the suspension is a little noisy ( although its no issue for me)so would the Turanza tyre be a good choice over the Potenza. As I say views/experience/expertise appreciated from those who have owned a GT for some time. I previously owned a 166, so not a useful comparison (on Michelins)

By the way quotes varied by around £45 a tyre. ATS was £150 a tyre, a local supplier was £125 and Quik Fit on line was £106.50!

So whatever I buy Quik Fit will win.

Cheers

Laurence

·
Registered
624 Posts
Invest in Bridgestone Potenza, i run my GT on them and find them a superb tyre

·
Registered
207 Posts
Don't even go there, it's a bit like asking a bloke (sorry for the sexism), who's his favourite bird, you'll get loads of answers and each has a different reason. Just bear in mind; very cheap tyres are probably suspect, read the reviews and decide for yourself (don't know how many give long term reports, as characteristics change with age), and lastly most leading manufacturers have a second brand which is 'yesterdays' technology, much cheaper than their premium brand and more than adequate unless you're taking things to the extremes (a bit like buying a new PC actually, lovely to have all that RAM etc but will you ever use it!).

·
Registered
766 Posts
Don't even go there, it's a bit like asking a bloke (sorry for the sexism), who's his favourite bird, you'll get loads of answers and each has a different reason. Just bear in mind; very cheap tyres are probably suspect, read the reviews and decide for yourself (don't know how many give long term reports, as characteristics change with age), and lastly most leading manufacturers have a second brand which is 'yesterdays' technology, much cheaper than their premium brand and more than adequate unless you're taking things to the extremes (a bit like buying a new PC actually, lovely to have all that RAM etc but will you ever use it!).
Agree. But as other posts have showed, some premium tyres are great when new, when 50% tread gone, no better than a budjet tyre with the same wear ratio.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric for me. McConnechys fitted mine for £110 a tyre. Grip like glue whether in dry or wet.

Edited to add - I wouldn't let a Kwik s**t fitter within 100m of my car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
just fitted toyo t1-r to front and seem quiter than the michelin pilots when they were new, stii have noticeable tyre noise from the back though, so will be changing those next month :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts