Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)Just got a set of GT 18" multispokes (Thanks Ashraf :thumbs:) to go on the 147
What size tyre should i go for and what are good options in this regard?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have 225/ 40 Bridgestone Potenza at the moment not bad a little on the noisy side.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
The 147 with 18's are going to be slow...but look good, so you don't really care for grip and all those things.

I'd say go for something less grippy but very quiet. Please just go for symetrical tyres as Alfa's have natural negative camber at the rear and the Asymetrical tyres will wear on the inside and spoil your driving pleasure.

I'd reccomend Achilles 2233's as a good quiet, fit for purpose budget tyre.

I think for 18's they are just under a K.

·
Registered
608 Posts
225/40 18's give you a diameter variance of 0.84% which is good. That would be the correct 18" to go with.

I've always been a Pirelli fan but I quite like Yokohama as well and they aren't too pricy.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
The Falken 452's were great on my 147...
Falken are unfortuately quite uncommon in South Africa.

hahaha tyre debates are almost as bad as engine oil debates!!!! :cheese:

But basically you can spend in the R1100 region for Dunlop 6060. Or some of the Potenza range are around R1800. Or R2600ish for PZero's. Or up to R4500+ for Goodyear Eagle F1

Any plenty other brands in between....

The choice is largely lifespan vs price.

The problem with our lovely SA roads is if you spend double on a set of long lasting tyres and cut a sidewall 2 days later on a pothole........:mad:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Please stay away from dunlop.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Falken are unfortuately quite uncommon in South Africa.
not if you know where to get them :p
All my cars drive on Falkens, ****en good tyres and waaaaaaay underrated. For the money you pay, the performance rivals and mostly exceeds the competitions!

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Please stay away from dunlop.
+100'000'000

hahahaha okay.

Incidentally, I recently heard from a tyre dealer that dunlop international has just increased its holding in Dunlop SA and is injecting a substantial sum of money into the production process to improve quality.
I'll believe it when I see it :thumbs:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I am really enjoying the Pirelli Cinturato P7's on my GQV, they grip like flypaper, however they are noisy. Excellent value for money at R1250 for a 225/45 17".

I have heard nothing but rave reviews about Michelin Pilot Sport PS3 in every regard, but no personal experience.

Malas Tyres in Pta has Pirelli P Zero for just over R2k, which is crazy cheap, but they are extreme tyres with high noise and high wear.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
then G came with dunlops, not a fan, had front and back rotated today, couldnt believe the wear on the drive tires on just 13000kms!

the options my tyre guy gave me are: Achillies, yokohama- a drives, nexin, Pirelli Pzero nero, and Falken too should i want that. all under 2K each.
looking for something fairly quiet and good in wetter conditions(due to our kak drainage on the east rand)

@guili the 18s are more for look than speed, got the mito , G for that. the 18s also feel much lighter than the 16s currently on!

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Falkens were really good on my cars but then I fitted semi slicks and they were most fun on dry tar and very hairy in the wet!:eek:

I'd go for a nice Bridgestone Potenza RE001 or RE002 Adrenalin. Mid range price at around R1800 a pop with performance close to top notch :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Falkens were really good on my cars but then I fitted semi slicks and they were most fun on dry tar and very hairy in the wet!:eek:

I'd go for a nice Bridgestone Potenza RE001 or RE002 Adrenalin. Mid range price at around R1800 a pop with performance close to top notch :thumbs:
With your car (and driving style) you probably need full F1 wets when the road is damp :cheese::cheese::cheese:

·
Registered
608 Posts
then G came with dunlops, not a fan, had front and back rotated today, couldnt believe the wear on the drive tires on just 13000kms!

the options my tyre guy gave me are: Achillies, yokohama- a drives, nexin, Pirelli Pzero nero, and Falken too should i want that. all under 2K each.
looking for something fairly quiet and good in wetter conditions(due to our kak drainage on the east rand)

@guili the 18s are more for look than speed, got the mito , G for that. the 18s also feel much lighter than the 16s currently on!
I'd go Pirelli's.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts