Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - looking to put new tyres on my GT - 225 / 40 / 18w 91 - any advice on what to steer clear of or what to go for ? Budget not really an issue as I never scrimp on tyres !
Need something that softens the bumps out a bit

Thanks

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport 3 or the new Michelin Supersport if they are available in your size yet.

You might want to think about getting a set of 16" wheels & tyres to use for winter though.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a set of 16" winter wheels. What will a decent set of teledials set me back?

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Re: the OP's original question - Falken FK452s are a good compromise between quality and price.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I still run mine on pirelli p zero rosso.
Fantastic grip, even in bad weather,
but I'm just about to put my winter tyres on. (also 18")
I just put up with the slightly crashy ride (did I say, 'slightly'?)

B

·
0 Posts
Don't go for Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD1 - had these on my wife's GT and the grip was good (not so good in the wet), I always blamed the crashy ride on the suspension, but after recently (very regrettably) fitting 4 to my 156 SW I now realise it was entirely down to the tyres. Should have bitten the bullet and went for my fourth set of Goodyear Excellence dispite the fact the price had gone up sharply. You live and learn - another 18 months of gritting my teeth and holding tight to the steering wheel trying to wear the blighters out!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Summer Pirelli P-Zero Rosso
Winter Goodyear UG 7+ or 8

Best tires i had, dunno if the goodyears come in that size though.

I have tried:
Summer
Pirelli P-zero Nero (sport, comfort )had about 35.000 km in them
Pirelli P-Zero Rosso (sport) had about 38.000 km in them
Pirelli P7 Cinturato (comfort, turing) on the 156 right now, so far little wear.
Yokohama C drive (comfort, turing) had about 35.000 km in them
Yokohama advan something i dont remember (comfort, sport) had about 32.000 km in them

Winter
Goodyear ultragrip 5 (good grip, about 25.000 km in them, little noise)
goodyear ultragrip 6 (good grip about 25.000 km in them, little noise)
goodyear ultragrip 7+ (good grip mounted on the 156 right now, so far good wear, little noise)
Pirelli Sottozero (ok grip, about 20.000 km in them, got noisy)
Yokohama avs winter (ok grip about 20.000 km in them, got a bit noisy)

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
I must admit I'm impressed with the P Zero Rossos on my GT. They're much better than the P Zero Neros I had on my last 156.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You might want to think about getting a set of 16" wheels & tyres to use for winter though.
Again, what will fit? Any 16 inch wheel off a GTV or a 147 or a 156? What are the track implications? This is something I am interested in doing - forget about changing to 17s, the 18s are too pretty!!! but 16 inch for the winter, now that is something to think about. Have you got any Pud? How much for a set if I am not too bothered about the condition of the wheel - as in a bit of kerbing but not excessive but defo no buckles or flatspots.

TO THE OP: I had a full set of Pirelli's and the ride seemed ok. I put a pair of dunlops on it for a change, Dunlop Sportmaxx. They are on the front. Grip is great, great in the wet but a pretty hard compound I think - pretty noisy. HOWEVER, the sidewall protection for alloys seems to be way better than any other tyre I have seen. I am quite happy with them - it's just the noise on some stretches of motorway!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quick update - put a pair of Falken FK452s on the front a few days ago. Lovely tyre and a good compromise me thinks at £100 each. Its changed the whole feel of the car as its stopped "grabbing" as it did do with the Rossos that were on

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
its stopped "grabbing" as it did do with the Rossos that were on
When you say grabbing, does it sound like this- at low speeds, say 15-20 mph as I approach a mini roundabout near my house, the road is pretty knackered, I'm in a V6 and it is literally all over the place like a Rottweiler chasing a spider. I'd describe this as 'grabbing' and I've got Rosso's on too, desperate to get rid of this phenomenon.
I'll prob put some Toyo T1R on, had 2 sets on my Sportwagon and they've been great.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Hi ALcooker

Ive got the same suspension setup as you and i have goodyear asymmetric's and i have been really impressed with wear rate, Grip,handling and general ride quality.:thumbs:
Damien.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
When you say grabbing, does it sound like this- at low speeds, say 15-20 mph as I approach a mini roundabout near my house, the road is pretty knackered, I'm in a V6 and it is literally all over the place like a Rottweiler chasing a spider. I'd describe this as 'grabbing' and I've got Rosso's on too, desperate to get rid of this phenomenon.
I'll prob put some Toyo T1R on, had 2 sets on my Sportwagon and they've been great.
Sounds like something is not right under there? My Gt with fsd's and eibach's +ARB kit is so precise! how is your tracking? bushes?
Damien.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats exactly it !!! - i thought it was down to the width anf the pressure of the tyres but now Ive put the Falkens on it goes where I want it to !!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry if this seems like a silly / obvious question, but this will be my first winter with my GT.

Clearly, winter tyres Will make a differance to the grip/handling, but if I don't change my tyres, and I'm only going 2 miles to work and back most of the time - will I suddenly slip off the road and die when I go out into the countryside/motorway?

·
Registered
265 Posts
In any normal british winther you will have 1-2 days where you will have to be carefull, the rest of the time its just wet and there is no problem with summer tires. If you only have two miles to work and usually don´t use the car for other longer trips in the winther i don´t see a reason why you should buy winther tires. You just have to be wery carefull those days where the weather is bad, meaning wery long distance to cars in front of you and go slow.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi all - looking to put new tyres on my GT - 225 / 40 / 18w 91 - any advice on what to steer clear of or what to go for ? Budget not really an issue as I never scrimp on tyres !
Need something that softens the bumps out a bit

Thanks
Recently fitted Goodyear Assymetric II to my car - 17" though. Compared to Bridgestone RE050 and Goodyear Assymetric these are much quieter and feel very compliant (certainly feel less bumps) and are a brilliant tyre for grip. Seem to be available only as XL for 17" but seems to be good compromise. Would recommend them to everyone.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry if this seems like a silly / obvious question, but this will be my first winter with my GT.

Clearly, winter tyres Will make a differance to the grip/handling, but if I don't change my tyres, and I'm only going 2 miles to work and back most of the time - will I suddenly slip off the road and die when I go out into the countryside/motorway?
You will be fine with summer tyres as long as you drive sensibly. I've always used summer tyres all year round (5 years with 18" 225/40 's) and although it can be a bit hairy at times as long as you drive to the conditions you will be OK.

I'm actually needing some tyres soon. Tempted to stick with the Falken 452's. Give good grip and the fronts have lasted 15000. Previous Goodyears Aysmmetric grip was excellant but didnt last as long.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Sounds like something is not right under there? My Gt with fsd's and eibach's +ARB kit is so precise! how is your tracking? bushes?
Damien.
Pretty sure everything's fine, Nick kept the car in great order, probably just horses for courses. Had a chat with Nick the other day about the sussy set up, he loved it, but it's not my fave. Sounds like having the Rosso's off will help out, but I may well put the original springs on aswell.
So my personal advice to the OP is don't get Pirelli Rosso or buy mine when I soon have them off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts