Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Im new to this Alfa driving, but I have been so pleasantly surprised by the way my Spider 4 drives....Anyway, I have decided to take it to France to live and Im after the European Certificate of Conformity. In order to get that I need to know the Type-approval number. Does anybody know what it is or how I can find it?
many thanks in advance
Ken

PS
Any comments on getting a European Cert of Conformity would also be appreciated

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I think it is probably too old for that.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm sure the CofC is a relatively recent thing.

I do know that when a friend purchased an old Spider from Italy, he needed very little to register it in the UK.
The main thing being a build year and they took a letter from section sec of the UK AROC for that.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I was up to sell my S4 Spider beginning of this year and had a Frenchman interested - he offered way below the asking price and wanted new tyres and a full service...... Yeah.
Anyway I'm glad it got me into preparing and driving the S4 again as I've decided to keep it.
One of the things he needed to import it to France was a Certificate of Conformity. Its only needed for cars as of 1993 onwards in EU, so If your S4 was made before 1993 its OK, otherwise Alfa Romeo are bound to produce one for that model. And I don't mean bound "to do something" - they have to provide a Certificate, by EU law, for all models of car they made as of 1993 onwards.
Get in touch with them and check. Otherwise, a polite message mentioning that your car was made before this requirement for cars made in the EU from them will be OK to get it registered in France.
Hope all goes OK.

PS: What you do need to get your car registered in France (EU) however, is a full technical data sheet (also available from AR) so they can see the exact type of car and emissions and tax you accordingly on that. (Road Tax). Their equivalent of an MOT (Passage aux Mines) is up to high standards as of 1995 now, so you may be able to import it, but to get their MOT it has to be in good nick.
Amazing how they've been able to upgrade from rustbuckets to new cars in the past ten years - Unheard of government subventions -.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts