Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few weeks, the BB racism row has been taking all the front pages, news headlines and so on, this has all centered around Jade an her friends bullying Shilpa, so now jade is public enemy no 1. What none of the papers or news headlines are saying or up in arms about is when jermaine jackson called jade's mum "white trash" (most probably a correct assumption, however a racist one,). I am not a racist and i am certainly not defending the comments jade or her friends made, or am i defending bullying, however, all racism should be stamped out and racism against white people should be treated by the media the same way as the episode with jade goody has been.
I certainly dont think that jermaine jackson is a racist, but it was a racist comment.
Rant over:tut: :tut: :tut: :tut:

N

·
0 Posts
Yes, Mr Jackson should actually
have called them "Trailer Trash"

But maybe he used "White Trash" so
that other low-life scum watching
(who are not so "down" with US derogatory terms)
could understand him.

:)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does it not matter what slang is used, american english or not, the end result is the same and not an excuse.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
I had a long think about the whole issue.. at least 17 seconds.

It seems to me we don't have a clear definition of what is racist language and I don't think we should assume that ALL "racist" language is by definition racist.

The Jade/Jo attack on Ms Sheti was pure and simple bullying, IMO. The fact that they lacked the imagination to pick on anything but her accent and her name just shows their lack of education. They could (would?) have picked on those if she'd also been some posh Surrey bird with a BBC accent and a double-barrelled surname.

I think real racism is in the intent rather than the words. We should guard against parts of our language becoming taboo, or having words or expressions "hi-jacked" and labelled non-PC or worse. We all know what "White Trash" is.. let's not send the Ku Klux Klan round to Jermaine's house just because he put his feelings into the first/best expression he could think of.

Ralf S.

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
Ralf S. said:
I think real racism is in the intent rather than the words
Interesting point. However, words are expression of intent, that's why, for example, if someone says to another "I am going to kill you", regardless of whether they mean it or not, the person saying that can be arrested for inciting violence.

This is just an example, the main point being we can't hide behind colloquialisms to say whatever we want.

PS: I dislike Political Correctness with a vengeance but the backlash against silly use of PC shouldn't make people change their mind about respecting other people through the choice of words they use. :)

N

·
0 Posts
What make me really laugh is
Ms Goody is not "white".

Which makes me think that she has
some real issues at the core of her being.

:(

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Jade's mum 'is' white trash, I hardly think it's racist to state a fact.

I haven't been watching this particular series of big brother however in past versions i have watched, whenever anybody in the house has said anything remotely un-PC or controversial they knock the sound off. So i dont understand how any of this was broadcast in the first place, especially seeing as the biggest grievance is not in the particular perpetrators but in the issue that this kind of behaviour shouldn't be seen on British television.

But they are probably getting their best viewing figures ever, which is all the producers are bothered about.

W

·
0 Posts
gil_147 said:
Jade's mum 'is' white trash, I hardly think it's racist to state a fact.
I wonder if Jade's Mum would argue with your judgemental comment?

wrinx

A

·
0 Posts
I was watching BB when J. Jackson said that. What he said was roughly "in America they have a TV programme where they describe people like her as white trash".He only mouthed the two words in question as far as I saw it.
Theres no fuss because he's not a news worthy celebrity just like the two other offending women still on the show. People shouting racist at every opportunity , feminists, gay rights and all the rest of the P.C lot are gradually eroding our right to free speech and expresssion of opinion. Racism and discrimination against minorities is vile in every respect. Picking up on things such as the Goody/Shetty affair only serves to devalue the cause not support it.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
wrinx said:
I wonder if Jade's Mum would argue with your judgemental comment?

wrinx
....which is exactly what it is, a judgmental commment, nothing more! It may be offensive to her, but it is certainly not an offence to say it.

thankyou wrinx for helping me state that point.

N

·
0 Posts
chrisd_b said:
we are all racist to some point and to pretend anything over than this is just Bo11ocks!!

Yup, it's animal nature.

It needs intelligence, a good upbringing and a bit
of education to overcome the animal instinct
to attack what is different.

That's what makes us evolved beings. ;)

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
I don't watch BB but from reading other forums it seems that it was Leo Sayer who referred to the Goody women as White Trash, not Jermaine Jackson, who said (and this is a transcript from the show) :

Jermaine comforts Shilpa about Jackiey,
After Jackiey has been verbally abusive against Shilpa.

Shilpa: I'm like why why has no one else spotted me touching it.

Jermaine: Because they respect you and I think there in the buisness were all in the buisness and it wasnt in my upbringing to disrespect anybody.

Shilpa:Mine too.

Jermaine: And you got people out there who are the same way they may not like certain things but they know when they get out there they have an image they have a fanbase, Jade I am very impressed by her

Shilpa: Me too.

Jermaine: She's a star so she has a following and a fan base her mother doesn't, she does not care and I dont want to, go like this, it was reffered to her, they bought up the word white trash and I dont want to bring that up, and I wouldn't call her that because shes a human being.

But the fact is she doesnt care, have you seen that show Jerry springer have you heard about the show were they bring people on were they tell there buisness and they go crazy, they get people like that because they have no self respect.
Sometime I mean I help her because im suppose too, not suppose to but I feel it's a godly thing too do, to help her, she needs help.

Dont worry about it just be strong, you told me to calm you, I er, put it like this we have to be bigger and stronger we have too, at the end of the day we have to be bigger and stronger.

Shilpa: (laughs.)

Jermaine: just think if you hadnt walked through the door I would have been the only one in here with colour and it has nothing to do with anything, but sometimes you feel, you feel alone you feel alone, but when I saw you I felt better, no I'm okay now, i'm okay

So, is it racist for a white guy like Leo to say White Trash? :confused:

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I don't particularly think any of them have been racist tbh. Jade et al have been culturally ignorant, but not racist. Danielle and Jo were far worse than her as well.

One thing I find annoying is that The Sun have been slating Jade for being racist and yet they called the Chinese snooker player Ding Junhui "Pot Noodle" in a headline.

Pots kettles and blacks in abundance there I feel.

V

·
0 Posts
You might have 'a bit of a larf' reading it but anyone who thinks the Sun is an objective voice for what is going on in the world and what is right and wrong is sadly deceived. You won't see a bigger fount of hypocrisy.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
VO2Max said:
You might have 'a bit of a larf' reading it but anyone who thinks the Sun is an objective voice for what is going on in the world and what is right and wrong is sadly deceived. You won't see a bigger fount of hypocrisy.
Unfortunately it's the most widely read comic in the country. And I fear that too many people let it shape their lives and thoughts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts