Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, yesterday I passed from an Alfa-authorised service shop, to ask a few questions and order some parts. Big mistake. Big one! These guys gave me two heart-attacks in less than an hour. First the mechanic, who told me that it would cost me around 1200€ to change the camshaft belt, water pump etc (and two-three days of work) and second the spare parts guy, who told me that a replacement key (my 159 came with only one key) would cost me about 850€!!

And I thought my BMW X5 spare key was expensive at 185€!!! :confused:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Good God I think id be getting a second price or two or three thats bloody ridiculous surely somewhere can do them for less!!! all the best finding a far better service/price regards Brian

·
Registered
741 Posts
It would be cheaper to pay for a mechanic to fly in and out from the UK!

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
The golden rule is to never go anywhere near a main stealer...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't know about the 159 JTD but my 2.2 Brera cost around £1200.00 to have the timing chain replaced! (did the variators etc too)

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
That high price to change the belt is because they are going by the Alfa book times that say to do the belt you need to take the engine out.
But you dont need to, it can be done in place.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Were did you ask?
Bring it to Thiva and a friend will change your cam belt etc for a lot less.
I changed mine (1.9 jtdm) this summer for less than half the money with original parts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I know the quotation was a rip-off, when I found the complete kit of parts in ebay for about 200€.

Were did you ask?
Bring it to Thiva and a friend will change your cam belt etc for a lot less.
I changed mine (1.9 jtdm) this summer for less than half the money with original parts.
Thiva it is buddy, if a local shop I have in mind can't do it! LoRL it would be a good chance for some kopsidia too! :lol:

And it will give me the opportunity to clean up its exhaust pipe a little bit, from the diesel deposits (if you get my drift).

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Remember it's basically the same engine as all the Opel diesels use ( a bit less room on the 2.4 mind), so any competent mechanic should be able to do it.

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The engine is a problem. Greeks haven't been allowed to buy diesel cars for many years, only recently they've been allowed. So there is a lack of experience on them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
lol!

I have 159 sw 2.0 170HP and i gave 250€ for timing belt replacment parts. I bought it in SLovenia, but preety same costs even in Italy. Thats include both belts. timing and micro belt, water pump, all rollers, tensioners, so everything what has to be changed around belts aon big service.

I'm computer inginier, programmer and I changed this stuff alone, in lets say 5 hours. That means, if i did, hobby mechanic, also every mechanic, who deserve that you call him with this word,, should be able to do this work.

Don't know the prices of labour in Greece, but I think, 600€ for parts and work is fair price.

greeting

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd say it's fair too. Anything more than that, it's a rip-off.

Oh, and do you want to know how much the local distributor wants for a second key for the 159??

Close to 900€ (including the Code card). Geeeeeee!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
In Slovenia , if you order Key code card and new key, with all three buttons, it cames 350euro. I'm talking about main official alfa romeo dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts