Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi dudes,

Recently, the handling of my 97 widebody super has become a little bit 'twitchy'. It gets upset if I hit say a rough patch on the road, or cats eyes, and sometimes I get a wobble on the steering wheel when I brake and it won't stay in a dead straight line without some force, and it just generally doesn't feel as confident in handling. I have experimented with tyre pressures to no avail.

Not being technically minded, can anyone tell me does this sound like a simple wheel balancing or tracking issue, or could there be something bigger behind this, like worn out dampers, sticking brake caliper or something? I will probably drop in at a Kwik-Fit style place in the next few days, and don't want them trying to rip me off.

cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't know BW!

But I can tell you, mine does the same :mad:

This summer I had my shop look it over, they could find nothing..

Hence I am still in the "boat"!

Any info would be great.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wandering under braking could be the front suspension bushes, are you experiencing any knocking too? Dampers could be getting a bit tired too.

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There isn't any knocking, so hopefully not the bushes. Any rough costs on replacing the dampers anyone? - how often should these be replaced anyway and should they all be done simultaneously? I'm on 52k, but not sure if the originals are still on as I bought it on 48k.

I'll get the balancing and alignment checked first. It's not undrivable or anything, and it's behaving fine if I throw it hard into a corner, it's just at low speed on straight, badly repaired roads that it becomes tyresome (pun intended wink ).

cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both my widebody's had/have twitchy steering, the latest one ('97) is worse than the early one ('95).

I had a decent set of tyres fitted to the early car (P7000's), along with the tracking being set and it was much better, almost got rid of the twitch and elimimated completely what felt like torque steer on uneven or wet surfaces. The later car has newish tyres (Marangoni Zeta's) therefore I am going to have to wait before fitting P7000's to this one, but hopefully it will help as it did with the other car. I find the Marangoni's feel a bit like 'plastic' compared to the P7000's which aren't cheap, but in my humble opinion are a superb tyre.

As someone's mentioned above, wear in the suspension could also be the cause or a major factor, and it might have been that the tyres I changed on my first car were completely buggered hence the big improvement, however after over 10K miles on the Pirellis' the twitch didn't return.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could be the tyres. New ones were put on for the MOT the day before I collected the car, but the dealer only used cheapo ones. I've only done 4k on them, but perhaps this is all I can expect out of budget tyres on a car like this? It had P6000's on when I test drove it and, despite being well worn, they did seem very grippy. Maybe I'll look into new Pirelli's if re-alignment doesn't get me anywhere.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi bw

I usually find the handling of a car is scary after replacing the rubber, guess its due to gettin used to running on slicks and then having all the new rubber tread moving.

Would have thought you'd be used to it after 4k though. Get the tyres and tracking checked as you've said, then look at the suspension components.

Also found that when I first had my V6 it went straight ahead no problem. Now thanks to Derbyshires cack roads it pulls to the left just like my twinny does!!! Perhaps the car wears to the roads?

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It could just be that my tyres are rubbish, they look like real cheap nonsense ("Nankang" !?), I plan to change them as soon as I can afford to! Or, it could be that the g/f has 'done something' and decided not to tell me about it, like some impromptu off-road or pavement driving :rolleyes: . Thinking about it, she does always change the subject when I start to complain that the car isn't handling right...hmmmm.

I hope she doesn't visit this forum under an alias, or I'm for the high jump eek!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi BW,
Had the same prob with my V6 when I first got it.
What solved the problem was a new pair of matching front tyres, which BTW were Nankangs (Yokohama's budget breed) as I was a bit skint after buying the car, and the tracking doing my local garage. I'll replace the tyres when I change the wheels, but so far the Nankangs have been fine!
Just a word of warning, don't let Kwik-Fit, or any of those Nationals loose on your car. The numpties will probably condemm and rebuild your entire front suspension, just to help them make their weekly targets...know this from personal experience after having a full blown arguement with a couple of K-F fitters, after they tried to sell me a pair of new shockers, telling me that mine were knackered, two days after I'd replaced them myself with some new Konis. They pulled the same trick on a mates wife; charged her £300 for new shockers on her Audi, when it was only a £1.50 bush that was at fault....Could go on and on about this! :mad: but you get the idea.

Mark :)

·
Banned
477 Posts
Hi BW, I'd suggest getting the ball joints checked. I felt that my 155 was a bit twitchy when I got it, but just thought it was nature of the car. The wheels tended to move steering alot on rough roads, and I must admit that I never felt that confident cornering or under heavy braking. I put this down to 1) it having 17" wheels, 2)me being new to the car.

I've had both wishbones replaced as it failed MOT on one side, and the steering is now much more solid and I've got much more confidence in the car. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts