Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would share my new method of changing the cam sensor without the need to remove pulleys or timing belt.
1, Remove the coil pack cover.
2, Remove the coil pack assy.
3, Remove the camshaft cover.
4, This is the key to the whole procedure remove the variator seal shell / exhaust seal cap it gives clearance to rotate the sensor clockwise as the cap actually stops rotation due to it sticking out further than the head.
5, Now make sure you have the cut-out in the exhaust pulley pointing upwards.
6, Remove the two bolts fixing the sensor in place being carefully not to drop the screws I magnetised my Allen key.
7, Disconnect the sensor plug on the inlet plenum also removing it from the the back of the water pump and leave it hanging from the sensor. Or just cut it at the sensor and pull it out as it's scrap anyway.
8, Now move the sensor in a clock wise direction following the rib /track on the back of the exhaust pulley until it is at the top of the pulley and hey presto it's out without removing a single belt or pulley.
9, Put some masking tape over the inner faces of the new cam sensor to protect them and then at the top of the pulley put the sensor onto the track and following the track anti clockwise until it's in position with the little locating peg on the back of the sensor located put the two fastenings back in.
10, Then route your cable back through the gap behind the belt and pump and reconnect at plenum.
11, Refit the remaining parts removed earlier remembering to remove the tape by rotating the pulley back round so you can see the sensor through the pulley cut-out and pick the tape out.
The tape will have also acted like a levelling shim to ensure the sensor is clear of the track.
12, Now think how much money you have just saved yourself fitting it yourself without having to worry about buying another timing kit and setting the timing :thumbs:

I really hope this helps others I have tried this over and over tonight and it is faultless apart from me trying to explain it probably. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
Good job, but what if the metal inner ring was the problem in the first place? I understand that the cam sensor is generally the most reliable sensor on the car and its the use of the incorrect tool on both tightening & loosening exhaust pulley that bends the ring and ultimately leads to cam sensor failure, otherwise its almost bulletproof.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good job, but what if the metal inner ring was the problem in the first place? I understand that the cam sensor is generally the most reliable sensor on the car and its the use of the incorrect tool on both tightening & loosening exhaust pulley that bends the ring and ultimately leads to cam sensor failure, otherwise its almost bulletproof.
If the metal ring was the issue in the first place the warning light would be on after picking your car up from the garage that did the cambelt change :lol:

I would assume that if you had the error code /warning light for the sensor fail after years of faultless operation that it won't be down to the ring Uri Gellaring itself out of round :cheese:

You are correct tho you don't let an incorrect tool do your timing belt change to start with.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Great work! :thumbs:
The next man who does it posts some pictures! ;)
Some excellent thinking displayed there.

It's probably worth posting in the engine forum too.
Thanks for the comments guys much appreciated i did make a movie redtop using my phone but it appears that Speilberg has nothing to worry about just yet and wanted to spare myself comments about the movie :eek:
I will try and have another go at doing a movie over the weekend if i get chance.
Hi pkr my original post is now in the engines section too as suggested.
Didnt know if i was allowed to post the same thing twice ?(Sorry Moderators if your not supposed too)

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Just tried this on my spare cf1, I couldn't do it because I couldn't get the plug through. If I was prepared to cut the plug of and reconnect it then OK but Other than that, it doesn't work I'm afraid.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Not me. The sensor has no effect to running on the cf1 so I'll wait until cam belt time.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Have to admit when i did this job the issue was always getting the cable in and out behind the w/pump .:confused:

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Yes you're right. We've had this discussion in the past, don't think we got a conclusive answer. I think it does affect the cf2 engine.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
if it doesn't effect running.. it makes you wonder why they fitted it in the first place..
Quicker engine starts I think. If the ECU knows where the No 1 TDC is, it doesn't have to work it out. The crank sensor only provides rotation speed.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
could it provide camshaft position for the fuel injection?? every 720degrees crankshaft rotation??
the engine may then run without it .. emissions might be high though??

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I presume that, based on lambda output, ECU would correct fuel injection loads and ignition timing in order to give "good" emissions. although, perfomance would be poorer, bloody hell!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I presume that, based on lambda output, ECU would correct fuel injection loads and ignition timing in order to give "good" emissions. although, perfomance would be poorer, bloody hell!
Blimey.. :)

so the lambda /ecu will put right what the cam sensor is not doing right..
my next cars gonna have carbs and a distributor..

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I would like to think like you, but, in the same scenario, an ECUless engine would be also lacking in performance and blown to pieces in no time (imho)...

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Maybe the knock sensor can help. If it momentarily advances the ignition and is cunning about which injector is delivering, the knock sensor may be able to identify where the engine is in the 720°. Just guessing ...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just tried this on my spare cf1, I couldn't do it because I couldn't get the plug through. If I was prepared to cut the plug of and reconnect it then OK but Other than that, it doesn't work I'm afraid.
Where could you not get the cable thru Mitch ?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not me. The sensor has no effect to running on the cf1 so I'll wait until cam belt time.
I seem to remember a member of the forum " Alex " mentioning that the fuelling is very different between having and not having a cam sensor.
I will see if I can find his post.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts