Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Brera '08 JTDM SV
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Largely to get away from the family on my birthday, I entered the faithful Babe Magnet for the Pomeroy Trophy last Saturday at Silverstone. It’s a handicap event run by the Vintage Sports Car Club but open to cars of all ages. Based on an unfathomable handicap formula, the objective is to find the best sports touring car. It attracts a somewhat eclectic entry from Edwardian to an Audi RS6 for a series of tests; a standing start acceleration test, a braking test, wiggling through cones and a forty minute time trial blasting round the National circuit.

Blow me, but we got a Third Class award which was quite pleasing given that we were bog standard and most of the moderns were track day specials or outright racers. Beat a Cooper S, Porsche 944, Elise and Audi RS6…..

Also good news is that there is a penalty for inadequate boot space: You have to be able to get two official size suitcases in and close the boot. We passed so we can now say that the GTV’s boot is officially adequate.

Comedy entries included a stretched Ford Scorpio limosine (£50 on Fleabay) and a Tatra. Both with mega long wheelbases, good for the handicap.

Other than the brake warning light coming on after a couple of laps, which I chose to ignore given the pads were new, she performed well, in spite of it lashing down.
:)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,883 Posts
I saw your car behind the pits but no-one near it.....I was a marshal on the pit straight outside and had a great day seeing the variety of cars entered.........days like those are great to attend/marshal at..........:thumbs:

Always nice to see Alfa's entered..........and :HAPPY: to the driver of the 107 year old Model T

·
Registered
Brera '08 JTDM SV
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I missed you, Stu.

I'm sure you enjoyed the weather as much as the open top boys. I was very glad to have the heater on!

·
Registered
12,883 Posts
We were only needed for when you were on track so started at 1pm by which time the rain had stopped.....:thumbs:

Know what you mean though....some of the old cars the drivers looked frozen ....

Were you close enough to the Aston to see him spin at Woodcote?.........he was fast in a straight line but bottled it on corners.....his brake lights came on as he passed us for Copse.........did the Fiat Coupe have a 20v Turbo in it??

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Nice one keeping the Alfa name high

·
Registered
Brera '08 JTDM SV
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sadly, the number didn't cut any ice with Mrs Neilly.

I didn't see the Aston all day but did have the 924 spin in front of me on lap 1 at Maggots and the race spec Nova had a big one at the same corner.

The Fiat did very well indeed. It was in track day spec, lowered and on Yokis but I don't know what was under the bonnet. He was lucky to be in the final session which was by far the dryest but must have driven very well to get up with the Nashes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts