Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my very first post having just joined moments before typing this out so I hope I have posted in the correct place.

I'm currently driving a Mito Distinctive 0.9 twinair (62 reg) with 84bhp, which is my first and only car. I've been driving it for nearly four years now and while it is a fun little car, I'm looking to try and squeeze some extra boost out of it. From an extensive search on the web, I've found a number of places which claim they can gain +11bhp (84 to 95) and an even more considerable +45Nm of torque (145 to 190) from a remap. The cheapest quote I have received for this remap is £199 from a place not too far from me.

Now is this worth doing? Would the real world performance be improved enough to warrant spending this much money on? Would I risk any substantial wear and tear on an already small capacity engine? Has anyone on here had this specific model remapped themselves?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
As regards wear and tear, that'll only happen if you press the pedal down harder to use the extra power :)

(in reality don't worry about it).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello all,

This is my very first post having just joined moments before typing this out so I hope I have posted in the correct place.

I'm currently driving a Mito Distinctive 0.9 twinair (62 reg) with 84bhp, which is my first and only car. I've been driving it for nearly four years now and while it is a fun little car, I'm looking to try and squeeze some extra boost out of it. From an extensive search on the web, I've found a number of places which claim they can gain +11bhp (84 to 95) and an even more considerable +45Nm of torque (145 to 190) from a remap. The cheapest quote I have received for this remap is £199 from a place not too far from me.

Now is this worth doing? Would the real world performance be improved enough to warrant spending this much money on? Would I risk any substantial wear and tear on an already small capacity engine? Has anyone on here had this specific model remapped themselves?
Hi,

Sorry about being 2 years late. I have exactly the same car, 62 reg and distinctive also, i purchased and installed a "racechip" piggy back unit. It had major performance improvements and fuel efficiency benefits. Supposedly took the 84hp upto 112. However, after a few months i removed it. Just didn't feel right to me. I didn't like the idea of straining the engine that much. Especially since its only 0.9. Once i removed it i had so much more piece of mind. I can now floor it without feeling guilt free. Much prefer just having a solid daily driver.
How are you finding the car? Im 17 and it is also my first car :)

Cheers

·
Registered
350 Posts
I wouldn’t worry too much about extra strain on the engine, most turbocharged engines are fairly de-tuned from the factory to stop them feeling too peaky, and often the if they do several variants of the same engine with different power levels the differences are usually only turbocharger and engine mapping with the actual engine hardware being shared.

I would have no issues running an 84bhp twinair at 100+ Bhp as they made a 104bhp version.

Sure, running more boost means more wear on the turbocharger, but how much is impossible to predict and is more dependant on servicing and using decent fluids, plus of course you’re unlikely to be running at full boost all the time for extended periods.

I’d have thought that if you can get 100-105bhp from an 84bhp model it would give a noticeable boost in performance.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I would have no issues running an 84bhp twinair at 100+ Bhp as they made a 104bhp version.
It would be worth checking out if those two versions use the same hardware though, AFAIK the 120 and 155 1.4t use different turbos for instance, so they dont have the same potential.

In general though, the bottom end of both engines will be the same, no point in making different bottom ends etc.. for small variations like this, but the turbo might be different, and it might for instance miss an oil cooler that the higher power versions might have etc.. (purely speculating)

squadra tuning (a well known dutch tuner of anything italian) seems to top out the 85hp twinair turbo at 95-98hp, depending on the specific version, which does suggest a hardware difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

Sorry about being 2 years late. I have exactly the same car, 62 reg and distinctive also, i purchased and installed a "racechip" piggy back unit. It had major performance improvements and fuel efficiency benefits. Supposedly took the 84hp upto 112. However, after a few months i removed it. Just didn't feel right to me. I didn't like the idea of straining the engine that much. Especially since its only 0.9. Once i removed it i had so much more piece of mind. I can now floor it without feeling guilt free. Much prefer just having a solid daily driver.
How are you finding the car? Im 17 and it is also my first car :)

Cheers
Hi James

Glad you’re enjoying the car, I swapped mine last year and I’m now in a Giulietta Multiair. I do miss the Mito though, the comedy noise from the twinair made it such a characterful car to drive, and it felt more ‘chuckable’ than the giulietta I’ve got now. The giulietta is a much compliant beast with higher limits (naturally being a uprated, quicker car) so it’s not as fun to drive at normal, sensible speeds.

As for the mito, I never did the remap in the end, for similar reasons you had for taking yours off. The newer 105 twinair engine has some mild hardware upgrades (can’t remember specifically what), and the maximum power increase I could find from a reputable company was up to 95bhp. I didn’t think a 10bhp bump warranted the cost and potential future strain on the engine from the increased torque, so I abandoned the idea and focused on saving up for a Giulietta later.

In case you follow a similar trajectory to me, I would definitely consider a Giulietta with the 1.4 multiair engine for your next car. The depreciation and low insurance makes them an attainable car for younger drivers, and I average about 40mpg from mixed driving. The power output is literally double that of the Mito Twinair (84bhp to 168bhp) so is plenty fast for normal everyday driving.

In the mean time, enjoy the Mito, you will definitely miss it when you come to swap it!

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would be worth checking out if those two versions use the same hardware though, AFAIK the 120 and 155 1.4t use different turbos for instance, so they dont have the same potential.

In general though, the bottom end of both engines will be the same, no point in making different bottom ends etc.. for small variations like this, but the turbo might be different, and it might for instance miss an oil cooler that the higher power versions might have etc.. (purely speculating)

squadra tuning (a well known dutch tuner of anything italian) seems to top out the 85hp twinair turbo at 95-98hp, depending on the specific version, which does suggest a hardware difference.
Yes you are correct. There were some minor mechanical upgrades on the 105.

I didn’t bother with the remap in the end, it didn’t seem worth spending that money on a meagre 10bhp with the potential extra strain from uprated torque.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts