Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, there's a guy in one forum that sells oil and is always stating that the twin spark engine runs the oil hotter then normal engines, then the vast majority of engines, is this true?

Regards

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
engine oil temperature goes hand in hand with RPM and oil viscosity. The higher either, the hotter the oil temperature. engine load has a small influence on oil temperature

10w60 runs about 20°C hotter than 10w40 for the same rpm (inside the main and big end bearings)

So if you would agree that most TS engines run a higher viscosity oil and are used with more revs on average, then he is correct.

·
Registered
13,247 Posts
RPM affects the oil temperature... so if you run at normal revs your oil will be the same temperature as the same oil at the same rpm in a Toyota etc. T/S has an oil-water heat exchanger which helps.. and if you're doing a lot of high rpm work (in higher atmospheric temperatures - summer blasting about) then you might want to stick in a small oil cooler... but otherwise just keep using good quality oil and change it on schedule (or even twice as often). The beast will live forever.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the question that comes to mind is: what oil does a type r or vti uses?
They go beyond the revs from the twin spark...
Do they use only 10w60oil?
Regards

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think the general consensus on the Twinnie is 10w40 semi although other variations won't make a huge difference. Most will use oil anyway, although some won't and it's all a bit of a mystery why.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've been thinking about the twin spark warming up and oil temp. I have a mk3 golf 1.6 100hp and it warms up twice as fast as my 146ti and it manages to keep oil temp around the 90C mark. Does that mean there is a lot more friction in the golf's engine than my 146 or is the warming up related to other things?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Oil warming up is related to the rpm you are doing foremost.

The bulk and material of the engine also plays a role. It takes more time (and calories) to heat up 100kg of iron than it does to heat up 80 kg of aluminium...

Then there's the coolant/oil interlinking and the coolant capacities... Also the TS has a ribbed oil sump for extra cooling, whereas the golf likely has a regular steel sump without ribs.

Does the golf have an oil temperature gauge, or are you looking at the coolant temperature?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Oil warming up is related to the rpm you are doing foremost.

The bulk and material of the engine also plays a role. It takes more time (and calories) to heat up 100kg of iron than it does to heat up 80 kg of aluminium...

Then there's the coolant/oil interlinking and the coolant capacities... Also the TS has a ribbed oil sump for extra cooling, whereas the golf likely has a regular steel sump without ribs.

Does the golf have an oil temperature gauge, or are you looking at the coolant temperature?
The golf has a cast iron block it has a regular round sump and it has a digital gauge on the digifant onboard computer and it reaches 70C in 1-2 minutes. But come to think of it has a vavle from the air box to the exhaust manifold and that helps a lot probably. Didn't think the ribbed sump does so much for cooling.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi, there's a guy in one forum that sells oil and is always stating that the twin spark engine runs the oil hotter then normal engines, then the vast majority of engines, is this true?

Regards
simple answer - yes

I installed a oil cooler on my 2.0 TS,

temperatures before instal:

I live in a hot climate

on the highway ona a sunny day(30+ *C) doing 4000 rpm, car goes 125 km/h - the oil temp was ~ 125 *C

after installing the cooler the temp reached max 100 *C

Most of the TS engines fail due to oil overheating.

·
Registered
170 Posts
simple answer - yes

I live in a hot climate

on the highway ona a sunny day(30+ *C) doing 4000 rpm, car goes 125 km/h - the oil temp was ~ 125 *C

That can't be true, if you keep 125 degree for a few hours the oil would need changing...

·
Registered
352 Posts
That can't be true, if you keep 125 degree for a few hours the oil would need changing...
I have gauges from Prosport for oil temp & pressure in the car and the readouts are incredible I agree.

That's why a lot of 2.0TS engines failed. Summer, air temperature above 30*C and highway...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have gauges from Prosport for oil temp & pressure in the car and the readouts are incredible I agree.

That's why a lot of 2.0TS engines failed. Summer, air temperature above 30*C and highway...
Where is the sensor located?

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
I've been thinking about the twin spark warming up and oil temp. I have a mk3 golf 1.6 100hp and it warms up twice as fast as my 146ti and it manages to keep oil temp around the 90C mark. Does that mean there is a lot more friction in the golf's engine than my 146 or is the warming up related to other things?
Would that be down to the temp gauges working differently? The TS shows the actual temp where the Golf is taking an average ..

If you watch a TS gauge it will go up slowly, drop suddenly as the thermostat opens and then rise up and sit fairly steadily if everything is working as it should. It it doesn't you should be looking at the thermostat, the sender, the rad, the rad fan resistor, ....

My TS coolant will normally be up to temp within about 5 mins and about than 3 miles of driving.

I bet if you watch the Golf is just floats up and sits at the normal mark .. whatever that is ..

·
Registered
170 Posts
Would that be down to the temp gauges working differently? The TS shows the actual temp where the Golf is taking an average ..

If you watch a TS gauge it will go up slowly, drop suddenly as the thermostat opens and then rise up and sit fairly steadily if everything is working as it should. It it doesn't you should be looking at the thermostat, the sender, the rad, the rad fan resistor, ....

My TS coolant will normally be up to temp within about 5 mins and about than 3 miles of driving.

I bet if you watch the Golf is just floats up and sits at the normal mark .. whatever that is ..
The Alfa gauge does craw up slowly, the heater starts to blow hot air after 5-6 minutes and 30C (dash temp) the gauge moves around all the time. The golfs gauge shows 90C between 80-100C and i reaches 80C way faster.. 6-7 minutes.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
simple answer - yes

I live in a hot climate

what oil viscosity were you using? It's perfectly normal for a 10W60 to get that hot.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My sensors is located between the oil filter and the engine block.

I am using selenia racing 10w60.
Other oils tjat I used would get as hot as this one (gradations 5w50 & 5w40).

·
Registered
248 Posts
simple answer - yes

I don't think that's true at all. Most twinny's fail due to cam belt failure or running on low oil. Head Gasket will usually go first with overheating and thats not too common on the twinny

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't think that's true at all. Most twinny's fail due to cam belt failure or running on low oil. Head Gasket will usually go first with overheating and thats not too common on the twinny
I'd say the first thing that lets loose on a twinny is the big end bearings, I've overheated mine due to fan switch failure no gasket problems so far.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts