Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long break I'm back in what is my 14th alfa, a lovely 916 spider, only had it a few weeks but all the jobs I wanted to do are nearly done (belts, service, and a paint refresh) next is a stainless exhaust. Does anyone out there have one? Does anyone recommend one brand? I don't want loud just a bit fruity when the revs get lively...

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Exhaust sound like so many other things 916-related is very subjective. What you call ‘fruity’ others will consider to be overly loud and boy racer-ish. The TS exhaust is massively over engineered with more silencers than it really needs. There is also the question of looks... do you want something OEM in appearance? Dual exit? Twin tail pipes? And finally there is budget.

I have gone for quads on both of mine. On the GTV I’ve got a Ragazzon unsilenced rear and a similar Fox system on the Spider. The remainder (centre and small front silencers) are standard. Both have a nice sound without being overly loud (IMO and my neighbours are still talking to me so not too noisy). You definitely get what you pays for... the Ragga is over twice the price but is much better made and fits perfectly

That said, the best sounding exhaust I have ever heard on a 916 was a Wizard (not sure but I think it was on a V6)... you could hear it miles away but the sound was awesome. It had volume but had real finesse too, I would describe it as the automotive equivalent of listening to a powerful opera.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I recently fitted a cat back Cybox s/s to my Spider and find it a bit too loud :-(
Then again I'm getting on a bit:grumpy:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies so far, I understand these things are all down to personal choice but I'd just like something a touch deeper sounding, but certainly certainly not loud and either standard looking or possibly twin pipes in the standard location.
I've had ragazzon in the past and they were great so that was my 1st thought, great to hear about the others though

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have the silencer-less Ragazzon twin exit rear pipe,and it sounds different on all 3 of my cars .GTV JTS its great,really nice sound.Spider JTS,similar to GTV but somehow not as nice,and quite loud in the cabin roof up or down,but not unpleasantly so. Spider TS, really great sound when accelerating,BUT a really annoying noise when cruising at 50-60,meant that i couldn't live with it on that car .I'd like to try a silenced Ragazzon rear section on the Spider,as that might be the answer

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also follow the discussion as I would like to improve the sound of my '03 Spider 2.0 TS.
I know of many people that replaced the end portion of the exhaust with the V6 Turbo version which has only one silencer. In addition to this, some suggested me to remove also the other rear silencer by using the Ragazzon straight pipe.
The final result should be from this

to this

At the moment I'm hesitating because i'm worried that the final result will be too loud. Does anybody on the forum already did this modification this his 916 2.0 TS ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have an MIJ rear section. It has just the end silencer, near the tailpipe. The rest of the exhaust is standard. I did have the small silencer out and a strait through pipe in place. But that was too loud, for me. I like this setup and it pops and burbles on down changes which I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have Ragazzon exhaustIt has a fabulous rasp but is not loud, very happy with the looks and the sound

Isn’t a rasp what all Alfas should have?

Sounds and looks much better than the oem exhaust imo

Not my car which is also a Phase 1 Proteo but the same exhaust and sound

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwixweKth8LlAhUGQ8AKHTTqBScQtwIwAHoECAgQAQ&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqcJfQAMoyE&usg=AOvVaw3HlqKQKpFt2oVGdXMijMWP
Well that's me sold. Is it just the back box or the entire system?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Well that's me sold. Is it just the back box or the entire system?
Mine is cat back, from memory it includes silenced centre and the rear box.

Out of interest I have just checked the prices and conclude that I got a bargain! 2nd hand fitted for £400.

I remember umming and ahhing about buying it as it was about half the price that I’d get for the car (around 4 years ago)

Fortunately I think Twin Spark prices have risen a little since then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts