Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I'm REALLY concerned about the 156's consumption. My previous figures included about 30% highway driving and came in at about 11 litres/100 km.

Last week, with the tank almost bone-dry, I put in R300 (almost exactly 21 litres) of 95. Today, also virtually empty, it's sitting on 150 km on the trip odo. That equates to exactly 14 litres/100 km, which - admittedly - includes 100% rather harsh stop-go traffic conditions.

Still, surely it shouldn't be this heavy on fuel? I try to baby it through the rev and throttle range to try and keep consumption as low as possible.

Are the TSes notoriously heavy on fuel? As much as I enjoy the 156 (I really do!), living with this sort of economy is just not going to make it worth my while :( .

·
Registered
975 Posts
Have you performed an ECU reset along with a throttle reset yet? It makes a massive difference as it teaches the car how to live with you, instead of Miss Daisy that may have owned it before you.

There is a manual way of doing the resets:

1. Unhook the battery for about an hour.
2. Hook battery back up.
3. Turn ignition to MAR position for 90 secs (count it exactly with a stopwatch)
4. Turn ignition to OFF position for 90 secs (again with stopwatch)
5. Switch the car on and let it idle for 10 - 15 mins without touching the throttle (very important not to touch the throttle)
6. Switch the car off and leave it for 10 - 15 mins.
7. Get in the car and go drive it through the rev-range with varying amounts of throttle input. The throttle will learn how you drive and give optimal performance and consumption for YOU.

I reset my throttle today, so car is busy learning my driving without the cat now.

You may also have a faulty MAF or other lambda error. I can help you out with codes and everything if you want.

My 147 is heavy in town - can easily go over 11L / 100km in town with just town driving. 14L is too much though. You gunning it to the redline from every robot? :cheese:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Quaddie. Do you have a code reader? I don't, yet.

I'm bloody babying it! I do love my climate control, though, which probably affect economy too. I will gladly live with 9 km/litre. Not so with 7, though.

I'll try the reset sometime this weekend.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thanks, Quaddie. Do you have a code reader? I don't, yet.

I'm bloody babying it! I do love my climate control, though, which probably affect economy too. I will gladly live with 9 km/litre. Not so with 7, though.

I'll try the reset sometime this weekend.
I have an OBD II reader yeah, and the software to help you out yeah! Would make a real difference I can assure you. Just give me a shout when I can help. I can come past tomorrow maybe if you want - will be away till Monday after tomorrow. Best to clear the codes and then do the resets.

My climate control is permanently on, so don't worry!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
you can't really compare consumption if you arent brimming the tank every time to get accurate liters consumed. The gauge is not accurate enough...

Say you only used 17 of those 21 litres, suddenly your 150km equates to 9km/l not 7km/l.

An ECU reset is always worth a try, and be aware it will need the better part of a tank to get itself all sorted out and get the economy back on spec.

Also a dose of good quality injector cleaner like Liqui Moly is never misplaced.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Have a look at this thread of mine when I got my car - 2.0 TS Fuel Consumption

Also, Fuelly.com is an excellent way to see what your car should be doing. I see Bub's 147 2.0 TS is doing 10.9L / 100km average.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Yea but Steven you probably drive it to earn such bad consumption.
I've noticed its gotten heavier as time got on. just did the belt and put the balancer belt on, car fells more powerful now even :confused:
once I've got used to this more, I'll reset and do a proper consumption test.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I've noticed its gotten heavier as time got on. just did the belt and put the balancer belt on, car fells more powerful now even :confused:
once I've got used to this more, I'll reset and do a proper consumption test.
haha i'm just kidding.

but I do find that with any car I havnt driven, or havnt driven for a while - my comsumption gets progressively worse. I think as I get used to the car i drive it harder and harder.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
The ts is THE lightest car on fuel that I have owned. You should make sure that the variable intake is working and also that your spark plugs are connected up correctly. I used to get from as low as 7l/100km to 11L/100km in really heavy traffic, 30km at 15km/h meaning 2 hours in traffic. Have the injectors checked and cleaned as well. Try a fuel system cleaner. Your air filter is also a source of restriction and needs to be kept as clean as possible. Failing this, usual tune up bitsblike plugs and filter replacements should be considered, along with a theottle reset. Throttle reset: ignitiin on 90 seconds, then off 90 seconds. Then on 90 seconds. Then start and idle for 10 mins. That should cure it.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Do you get a fruit basket from SAPIA (the fuel companies) every year, Ian?
Personally, the car lightest on petrol I have owned got about those figures as well, so I'm wondering where my fruit basket is...

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
You should definitely be getting much better fuel consumption than what you are presently getting. My comments;
1. Do not trust the computer - fill up to the brim, note odometer reading, drive till nearly empty and fill up again, note odometer reading, calculate l/100km.
2. In my V6 with mixed freeway (spirited driving) and stop start I'm getting between 9 and 10l/100km
3. +1 with comment about the air filter needing to be clean
4. Check tyre pressures
5. You may have injector problems - is the car running smoothly?
6. Do you pull off hard from traffic lights....makes a huge difference?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Do you get a fruit basket from SAPIA (the fuel companies) every year, Ian?
Personally, the car lightest on petrol I have owned got about those figures as well, so I'm wondering where my fruit basket is...
i don't understand this quote so i don't know where this response is coming from?:confused:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You should definitely be getting much better fuel consumption than what you are presently getting. My comments;
1. Do not trust the computer - fill up to the brim, note odometer reading, drive till nearly empty and fill up again, note odometer reading, calculate l/100km.
2. In my V6 with mixed freeway (spirited driving) and stop start I'm getting between 9 and 10l/100km
3. +1 with comment about the air filter needing to be clean
4. Check tyre pressures
5. You may have injector problems - is the car running smoothly?
6. Do you pull off hard from traffic lights....makes a huge difference?
1. Yeah, my fuel consumption calculations may not be very scientific or correct, especially with the very little fuel I've been putting in at a time. R400's worth of 95 seemed to "improve" consumption slightly (after I did a full throttle and ECU reset about 60 km into this "new" tank). OBC is very optimistic at an indicated 10.4 km/l currently.
3. Air filter is three weeks old.
4. I monitor tyre pressures closely, but I admittedly haven't checked them in about three weeks' time.
5. Car is running fantastic. I unplugged the MAF a few days ago, and it ran like a dog and the OBC put up quite a hissy-fit with all the alarms going off :D . I reckon the MAF is still fine. I'll try some fuel-injector cleaner sometime.
6. Nope, I try to drive as smoothly as possible and try to keep engine revs below 3500 rpm in city driving. I do drive with the climate control most of the time.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts