Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between the AR 67204 and the AR 32301 2.0 Twin Spark engines?
Is the AR 67204 the engine with the plastic cover and the AR 32301 the engine with the aluminum cover?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
it seems the alu cover one does not have variable valve timing on the intake i think

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
so the difference is mainly the amount of cats and the manner the throttle is controlled?

·
Registered
846 Posts
yeah, there's quite a difference, like thee amount of outlet pipes on the thermostat housing, the cats as mentioned, one of the biggest difference is the ECU, ph2 has a better interface, MAF sensor is different and as far as I can recall the ph2 had a more linear power spread as opposed to the ph1.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Ok. So then i reckon my 146 has the CF2 motor. I suppose the 147 came with the CF3 motor?
I guess so, but it also do not check out correctly. I can't remember that your engine has a throttle cable. If I remember correctly, the throttle was servo driven.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The 146 that walter owns has a CF2 engine. I changed the intake to the alu type as the plastic intake could not handle the turbo. The clocks on that 146 is also the later versions. Many things on that 146 are special and quite unique

·
Registered
476 Posts
CF1
Weber FI system
Bosch ECU
MAF has 3 wires. Signal, earth, positive
Air temp sensor sits in the intake rubber hose

CF2
Bosch FI System (Plastic Intake crap)
Bosch ECU
MAF has 4 wires. Signal, earth, positive, and air temp signal

I preffered the CF1 motor. Got way more performance out of the Weber FI than the Bosch. ...and it likes turbos...

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Biggest deference between CF1 and CF2 is the variable intake manifold (from there the better power spread) and a much improved idle control system and management.
Apart from that they are basically the same. Some use metal and others use composite head gaskets.
The CF3's started using thinner piston rings although till now I couldn’t really establish exactly when (maybe someone can clarify that for us) but they are rubbish in my opinion.

PS. the plastic manifold can take 0.9bar boost as long as you strap it together. But I prefer the old metal manifold on turbo applications for other reasons.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
The CF3's started using thinner piston rings although till now I couldn’t really establish exactly when (maybe someone can clarify that for us)
To reduce internal friction. The engines dropped from 114Kw after minifold cats were fitted and they needed to regain the power somehow. So compression was upped and piston rings were made slightly thinner and that's why some CF3's started using oil...:rant:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Not as far as i know.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts