Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searching for the dimensions of the 8V (ex Alfetta), and the 16V (ex AR 156) twin spark engines.
Is there any one here that have a link to detailed information on the engines?

And my second question is, what are the difference on the 8V engine in 70s, 80s and 90s cars?
Is the engineblock the same, is there any difference in the heads?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, first I need just the height,width and length of the engines including oilsump and valuehead.

You see I am planing a Locost/Super 7 build with a TS engine. And I am deciding what engine version to use, space is definitely a impediment when you are building a 7.

Secondly I am deciding what version of the engine-family is best to use, but that is a different question.

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
Weight will be a big issue too then.
Looks like the old 8v engine is almost 40kg lighter than the 16v.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
what are the difference on the 8V engine in 70s, 80s and 90s cars?
Is the engineblock the same, is there any difference in the heads?
the engine blocks did get revised over time.. first there was a modification to the cooling of the exhaust ports (more cooling in the later versions) for emissions reasons. think this change happened around 73-74, but is reversible....

the blocks differe a lot between the Nord and Twinspark engines, so much so that a TS head on a Nord block isn't just a drop-in replacement. Nord conrods are longer than TS conrods, with exception of the 1.7 8v used in the 155.

There are several different pistons in the Nord Engines, with different efficiencies, and different CR

the latest 2.0 8v twinsparks (8v) had a longer throw of the crank, bringing the cc up 1995.

TS engines are injected (motronic), Nord engines can have carburettors, mechanical injection (spica) or jetronic iirc... only the latest versions have lost the dizzies...

Neither are good engines to take to high rpms (8000+), the liners aren't stiff enough, or not fitted securely enough... monobloc liners is the answer but only if you have lots of £££

Mucho power can be had from the 8v TS engines, 200+ bhp without going to silly rpms...

an't tell you the dimensions, sorry, it would depend on the plenum and/or exhaust anyway

1 - 7 of 7 Posts