Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this sort of relates to my previous post regarding changing keys, locks and ecu... the issue in a nutshell is my only Alfa key for my CF3 twin spark Spider is broken - the chip in the key is knackered (I sent it to be repaired thinking it might be the microswitch). This leaves me with no key with an alarm / central locking button. The alarm is on of course.
So what I have been told is that with the cf3 it is possible to have new keys made from the existing ecu. Is this correct? That is going to be far less hassle than replacing all the locks if it can be done.
Does anyone know if it can be done? And of course there was no brown key when I bought the car.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
You can turn the alarm off if you have the correct key where the siren is in the engine bay. On the left hand side on the engine cover there's a little flap to pull off.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi,try abacus alarms,they helped me when I lost my keys.you send them the receiver and the cut keys and programme a new key fob.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
The alarm and immobiliser systems are totally separate. The immobiliser works from a chip in the key which sends a signal to the ECU and tells it to allow the car to start. Two alarm systems have been used in later 916s. The first I believe is the ‘European’ alarm which has an integral key and alarm fob. This is generally found on cars that were bought tax free on the continent, mostly by British Forces. The other system is the Meta M99, either T1 or T2 version which I believe was fitted to UK cars and some tax free cars.

If your immobiliser isn’t working, you may be able to get a chip and matching ECU from a breaker. The chip could either be put in your key or glued near the antenna. This second option would mean the car is easier to steal.

If you have a broken Meta then as mentioned earlier... Abacus Alarms can provide a replacement ECU and new fobs. It is the integral key/alarm fob that will cause issues. It should be relatively easy to remove either the siren or the whole alarm or if you have a new after market alarm fitted then the fitter should do this for you. Depending on how Alfa OCD you are, Timpsons will cut new keys and clone the immobiliser chip if you don’t want a key with a button that doesn’t work.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the advice. Admittedly I bought this Spider dirt cheap with a ton of issues I am happy enough to sort myself. I can pretty much fix anything on my 156 now but I'm learning the Spider as I go along.
I've spent all afternoon removing the door card to fix the central locking. The cable had come out of the little channel it is supposed to fit in to. This only lead to a few more surprises. The drivers door no longer opens from the inside - so probably need a new (unstretched) cable? Next, I was surprised to see a taped up microswitch behind the door card. No idea where that is supposed to go so just left if for now. I did start by disconnecting it but this stopped the drivers window from working. Even stranger, once I had tinkered behind the door panel, the electric roof started working (to a point). It seems intermittent but its something for me to go on... Got to love Spiders!

·
Registered
162 Posts
If I’ve had the door card off, I often get problems with the interior handle and bouncing locks. Give the door handle a good few pulls whilst opening and shutting the door to check the cable has settled. Also worth checking the spring on the handle as these often break, which can stop the door opening properly from the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha... anyone know where that microswitch is supposed to fit? Mine is just hanging loose with no obvious mounting point !

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
With the window up there is an aperture through which you should be able to see the winding mechanism and a cam that will operate to switch, very fiddly to get in just the right place for correct operation.. Therefore the screw holes are there, but if an earlier mechanism has been installed instead of the later type there won't be!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts