Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been thinking about this one for a while and seen the 16v rad on a Sud project.

I'm attempting to fit 2 fans on a 8v radiator.
Problem is that the left side there is not enough room due to the alternator and water pump.

If I can move the radiator forward a couple of inches then a fan can be installed I believe.

I removed the old bottom brackets to move forward, also made a couple of new clamps/brackets for the top support.
This top support will be cut off (not drilled out as I cannot find the right drill bit here and don't want to risk cutting one of the pipes).
I have made some simple brackets that fit nicely over the top of the radiator that will be bolted to the top rubber bushing once extended.

Bottom brackets have been bent outwards to lower the radiator as the top corners clash with the metal arc of the top frame!
Also the bottom water pipe outlet is a little long so this will be shortened so the pipe does not rub against the left side frame.

Some initial photos posted. I will make the drillings once my engine is back in so I know how much room I need with the slim second fan.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finished with the first design and the radiator is a good 2 inches forward at least.
2 x 10 inch slim fans will fit nicely in the frame now for sure.

The left hose may be a bit tricky. A new longer one might be called for.
I will get the engine back in in the next week or so to see.

My alfa will appreciate the twin fans as today it is 39 in the shade and 50+ in the sun!!!

:wow:

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Look how much more room there is now.

I can fit either 2 x inch fans or 1 x inch and the original Bosch.
Still space remaining even with the fans in.

Also no issues with the pipes touching the frame. Once I tightened the clips the pipes cleared nicely.

:)

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All wired up and the 10 inch slim fan works and fits great on the left side now.

Have to take some photos.

Will keep the original Bosch on the right side for now as it works well and can't be bothered to remove the brackets on the new rad! :lol:

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on my own here :rolleyes:

no one interested in putting twin fans on the tiny 1.7 8v rad? Maybe guys in hotter European climates.

nevermind the cake guys, lets get back to car mods :cheese:

A

·
0 Posts
Maybe guys in hotter European climates.
My little 1.3 engine with the rad replacement now runs perfectly without overheating danger. (max 93C)

The 16V boys may need to opt for twin fans set-up, especially Chris having a modified boxer.

Bravo, you have upgraded your cooling system probably to the one the factory should have opted in the first place.:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bravo, you have upgraded your cooling system probably to the one the factory should have opted in the first place.
cheers guys. yep Alfa should have done this when the 1.7 was introduced for sure.

abit of cake envy
- especially when my lady can't even boil an egg!

This summer we had days reaching 40 degrees in the SHADE! 55 in the sun!

When you're in summer traffic travelling at 10 kph you do not want to be in your alfa with 1 small fan.

Can't wait to see the results.

Just got to fix my starter motor first:cry: (got a new solenoid to see if that does the trick).

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is excellent, does the front grill get impacted by this move forward?
Is this the 16V rad installed now in this picture as well?.

I think i will start on this in the winter

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This is excellent, does the front grill get impacted by this move forward?
Is this the 16V rad installed now in this picture as well?.

I think i will start on this in the winter
still space in front of the grill.:)

no it's the standard 8v aluminium rad.

I can get 2 x 10 inch fans behind the rad .:)

I'll try to get some photos uploaded. (crud - just realized if you clear your attachments it erases the photos from your thread also!)

These show the initial fit. After everything was filed/sanded and painted.
the brackets overhang but I can assure you are firmly fixed with strong allen bolts and do not flex at all. They can be spot welded on for better strength if you want.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome!!!

I can feel the fans come on from inside the car!
Was about 32 degrees yesterday and the 2 fans dropped the engine temp (80-90 rad sender) in about 8-10 secs. About 3-4 times faster in hot weather than the older set up with the one original bosch fan..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts