Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cut to the chase....

Always been a dinosaur...love the CRT TVs...but the last ones have broken due to tubes failing cos of old age.

Bought an LCD....picture is pretty good...but audio is CRAP...ended up buying a home cinema system for a bargain price of £60.....sound is great.

Am i just the only one who thinks that LCD,LED,3DTV might be hip & trendy....but they need to sort out the audio side of their products...or is it just because the TVs are so thin,they can't hold audio properly ???

N

·
0 Posts
Small/thin enclosure means that the sound is rubbish. (Almost no bass.)

Something that adds external speakers (home cinema/soundbar/etc)
is the only fix.
:thumbs:

E

·
0 Posts
What Nev said. Mine is acceptable for a flat screen, but I recently invested in a Pioneer all in one blu-ray and 5.1 amp that I put the freesat box through. It wasn't that expensive but also plays movies off the computer via the network :)

V

·
0 Posts
Although I feel sure that if someone really put their minds to it (like Bose do) it'd be possible to get reasonable sound out of a skinny TV, yes, the inherent lack of volume in a flatscreen puts the sound at a distinct disadvantage.

To be honest, if you're going to have a flatscreen and watch movies and stuff which are increasingly being broadcast in 5.1, you're much better off having satellite (separate) speakers anyway. No amount of 'pseudo surround' from one box is going to sound even halfway decent be it within the TV itself or sitting underneath it.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Although I feel sure that if someone really put their minds to it (like Bose do) it'd be possible to get reasonable sound out of a skinny TV, yes, the inherent lack of volume in a flatscreen puts the sound at a distinct disadvantage.

To be honest, if you're going to have a flatscreen and watch movies and stuff which are increasingly being broadcast in 5.1, you're much better off having satellite (separate) speakers anyway. No amount of 'pseudo surround' from one box is going to sound even halfway decent be it within the TV itself or sitting underneath it.

Fair enough...but i have to say that i've had CRT TVs that have really good audio...any LCE/LED that i've bought leave a lot to be desired in the audio stakes.

BTW...the last LCD TV i bought..a Samsung,had an appalling picture quality when we were watching it from anything other than straight on !!!!

This cheap one we've bought doesn't have this problem...which i quite surprised at !!!!

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
although quite small at 22" i have a reasonably high end Samsung LED HDTV. the picture is out of this world, but the audio is crap - there simply isn't any room for speakers in the cabinet.

D

·
0 Posts

I'm sorry but Bose are quite possibly the most over rated heaps of junk anyone could possibly buy.

Just buy a decent 2 channel speaker set up something like Monitor Audio and a NAD amp second hand man you'll be well happy with that.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've had a Philips LED ambilight tv for well over a year now. The sound is great. Not fantastic, but great. It projects onto the rear wall and bounces effectively.

It isn't a 2.1 or 5.1 system, but equally it is as least as good as what you've find in a CRT (can you still buy those?).

Plus the image and surrounding light is immense.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
I'm sorry but Bose are quite possibly the most over rated heaps of junk anyone could possibly buy.

Just buy a decent 2 channel speaker set up something like Monitor Audio and a NAD amp second hand man you'll be well happy with that.
Monitor audio? NAD? Those are the names uttered by someone who knows their stuff. Throw arcam in there and you are really talking

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I've had a Philips LED ambilight tv for well over a year now. The sound is great. Not fantastic, but great. It projects onto the rear wall and bounces effectively.

It isn't a 2.1 or 5.1 system, but equally it is as least as good as what you've find in a CRT (can you still buy those?).

Plus the image and surrounding light is immense.
Really!!! My Philips is abysmal. The scale goes to 50 and I often need it in the 40s to hear it. My old Samsung LCD went 100 and I use it on 10. Nuff said . Oh and the internet, Philips Net TV is rubbish, rarely get a connection. Good job I bought the TV for picture quality not audio or anything else. The picture is breathtaking.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I run the PS3 through the TV for any connected services I want - seems to work just fine. Especially now iPlayer is in HD.

D

·
0 Posts
Monitor audio? NAD? Those are the names uttered by someone who knows their stuff. Throw arcam in there and you are really talking
Telling ya, I have a NAD 325BEE in the living room with Bronze BR6's some bang off them and sound very good for the money to be honest. Buddy of mine he's on AO too, has some serious speakers in his house they are spectacular I can't remember the models exactly. But he has made his own speakers and they sound class to compared to anything you can pick up and for the amount of he spent to build em nothing comes close I would imagine.

I have another home cinema set up in my room but it's old at this stage Mission M73i's x4 M7C2 center BK Elec XLS200 sub and a Mission MS10 sub and Sony STR-DE875 amp and Sony DVD player 5 disc changer. Good set up for what it is and it's very good with films.

The car then that's a whole nother story.

V

·
0 Posts

I'm referring to the way they get (relatively) great sound out of a small box (as per the OP) - check out their 'Soundwave' gear with the clever labyrinth bass...for the size, they're brilliant - fact. I'm not talking about their 'hifi' speakers, or even their car audio. I'm not sorry for saying it ;).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts