Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to improve the sound from my parents' telly. The most obvious solution would be a soundbar but, looking at the things, they're complicated with multiple inputs, Bluetooth, different modes and remote controls.

All I want is something simple that comes on with the TV (or is on all the time) and sounds decent without the possibility of being rendered silent if my dad sits on the remote.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
38,347 Posts
I just picked up whatever the bloke at Richer sounds said was OK, for the ‘rents just go all-in-one to avoid issues with the sub-woofer and get something that pairs with the tv sound controls if possible. Avoid any wireless malarkey as they won’t know what to do if it fails to link etc.

In fact just wire some f*&k off big speakers to the telly :thumbs:

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
The Home cinema thread.

In my opinion this is well worth doing for older folk with LCD TVs.

You want a "sound base". Preferable with with HDMI ARC & CEC
if the TV supports these.

It's all in the other thread.

:p

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Let’s stick with “The elderly and technology”

Introducing modern gadgets to my Father in law and his wife drove me nuts, it was only a replacement Sky Box with broadband package.

I had to produce 5 laminated A4 pieces of paper with instructions, passwords, telephone numbers and instructions on how to use the Freeview when weather interrupts the Sky signal.

A job I wish I’d never taken on.

Get them headphones, long extension with splitter. Thank me later.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I remember turbocharging the sound of my Dad's TV in the days before wireless doodahs and Blueteeth. With a small amp and bookshelf speakers I was proud of the result.
When I asked my Dad if he had noticed the difference he said "Sorry what did you say? I couldn't hear you"

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I'd like to improve the sound from my parents' telly. The most obvious solution would be a soundbar but, looking at the things, they're complicated with multiple inputs, Bluetooth, different modes and remote controls.

All I want is something simple that comes on with the TV (or is on all the time) and sounds decent without the possibility of being rendered silent if my dad sits on the remote.

Any ideas?
The bloke above is the go-to-man for advice on techno’ haven’t searched his channel for sound bars though :lol:

I have a pair of speakers with a subwoofer for my computer, plugs in via a jack plug, always on, cheap, cheerful and foolproof.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts